Help me fix the Barley Crusher I've used only ONCE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So after running a cup of grains or so through my new crusher the grains (2 row) fell straight through with zero crush on the factory setting. Weird I know but I did get it over a year ago and just now using it for the first time and I heard it can adjust over time?.. anyway I picked up some feeler gauges to set the gap and mistakenly though the plate screws had to come all the way out. Now one of tge screws WILL NOT go back in. I attached a pic to show the stubborn screw. Its not crooked or anything and after an hour I decided to throw it up to you guys for ideas. ?????

1391663943547.jpg

I removed mine before and if I remember correctly, there is a notch in the adjustment knob (recessed where you cannot see it) and the screw goes into it. So you may need to push the knob in a little or maybe work it into place. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I removed mine before and if I remember correctly, there is a notch in the adjustment knob (recessed where you cannot see it) and the screw goes into it. So you may need to push the knob in a little or maybe work it into place. I could be wrong though.

Yea I thought the same thing so I tried putting the screw in with the adjustment knob completely removed and sucker still would not go In.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

I can't make sense of that in my own mind. It's a hole that is made specifically for that screw to fit into, so what's blocking it? I wish I could help but that was all I could think of.

Doesn't make sense to me either since it was in there before I took it apart... darndest thing..

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

my idea is that a thread must be stripped. the screw must go in and if it does not try a another screw with the same threads. it sounds to me that the threads are cross threaded. Did you try to use the other screw? also these mills come apart easily....if you take apart all the screws then it comes apart. The thread is is striped or its not aligned properly.. Maybe the face plate is on backwards? It must me one of these issues. Just my 2 cents

Have you tried loosening the screw that is in all the way then trying the end that's giving you fits. A lot of the products I sell won't screw down if you tighten one all the way before you get the other started. Sounds crazy but worth a shot.

Thanks for the input. I had tried both screws in both holes and it was not bridging. I did just f2f it to work only by using one of the hopper screws in the plate and using the plate screw in the hopper. Lol. Glad its finally back together but that makes zero sence to me.

So many beers... so little time.

Remember, It's got a life time warranty, so you can send it back for repair or email him to get the parts to fix it.

That is if you out can get him to respond to his emails. He has really horrific customer service.

...That is if you out can get him to respond to his emails. He has really horrific customer service.

He responded to my email but it did take a little longer than I expected. He is good about honoring his warranty. I wouldn't describe his customer service as horrific from my experience.

He responded to my email but it did take a little longer than I expected. He is good about honoring his warranty. I wouldn't describe his customer service as horrific from my experience.

Well I'm glad you got him on a good day. But you're the odd man out.

I'd never buy from the guy again. I would sell this thing if I could afford a different one. There's even a forum dedicated to his "amazing" customer service here.

He honored my warranty, but man was it a chore getting a hold of him. Then he sent it back to me DIRTY as hell. It was filled with metal shavings and covered in black. I had to use my tooth brush to clean it. Good thing I was due for a new one.

The guy is a genuine A HOLE in my books.

I know this might sound crazy but are you turning the crank in the right direction? I'm a lefty and when I first turned the crank I did it the wrong way and none of the grains crushed. Then I realized I was turning it the opposite direction and switched directions then it crushed like a dream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

I know this might sound crazy but are you turning the crank in the right direction? I'm a lefty and when I first turned the crank I did it the wrong way and none of the grains crushed. Then I realized I was turning it the opposite direction and switched directions then it crushed like a dream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

I was thinking the same thing, but his post made it sound like he got a cup crushed then had issues... I've done that several times. Hell I think I did it last time I brewed.

I am a total noob when it comes to these things..... I usually have to take things apart and put them together several times before i understand how it works. after doing this several time and most recently over last weekend to build a base for my barley crusher (it is not pretty, but I hope it will be an improvement and functional), i have never had a problem with it. sometimes it will leak a few kernels of grain, but that is due to the fact that I BIAB (I try to get the gap as small as possible). when this happens i have to make increase the gap just a bit and then its honky doory

Remember, It's got a life time warranty, so you can send it back for repair or email him to get the parts to fix it.

That is if you out can get him to respond to his emails. He has really horrific customer service.

If you had paid attention, you may have noticed a pattern. He only answers e-mails once a week. I think it's either Monday or Friday. But he will answer them.

If you had paid attention, you may have noticed a pattern. He only answers e-mails once a week. I think it's either Monday or Friday. But he will answer them.

BULL SH¥t buddy. And don't try to pawn his crappy service on my lack of "not paying attention." His excuse was always, "oh, I never got your emails. I've been dealing with a lot of stuff... Blah blah blah"

He is taking my money. I don't give a crap what his issues are. He has a duty to maintain his product in a timely manner. That's the hard knocks of doing business.

He has crappy customer service—period! I promise he will get a hold of you fast to take your money, but he will take his sweet loving time to repair your expensive ass broken mill.

Buy a mill from him the same day you file a complaint. I'll put money down saying you'll have a mill at your front door before you get a reply from the guy about the damage. And you'll be lucky to have a working mill within a months time.

It doesn't take much to set up an auto reply following up with acknowledgment that he received the email and when to expect a reply. He only gives the option to email. Replying to one is not hard. Not having alternative ways to contact him shows that he doesn't want to be bothered until it's convenient for him.

It was over two weeks and still no reply...finally I get a hold of the LHBS that sold his crap. They gave me his info to call. Oh boy he got back to me then when he knew a big account was aware of his lack of support. But then he took his sweet time getting back to following emails.

And tell me how sending me back a disgusting dirty mill full of metal shards is quality customer service. I should've done a video of me cleaning his mill. I really wish I had.

Guys I have solved the issue with my mill and thank you for your help. I knob now nothing about the maker of this product but if is a small operation, I could understand it taking some time to reply to emails. Either way I think this Is the wrong post to debate the customer service of a particular brand. Im happy with the product thus far.

So many beers... so little time.

Glad it's working!

Latest posts

Back