Help me decide...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WenValley

Reaction score
When I started my kegging operation last year I purchased four pin lock kegs. Since then, I've added three more pin lock kegs. I have six pin lock picnic taps, and all the required pin lock gas and beverage fittings for pin locks

A nearby brewer has a dozen pin lock kegs that he wants to swap out for ball locks at a one for one rate. He says that I should bite the bullet and change to ball locks now and quit screwing with pin locks. He said to sell the pin locks and replace them.

I ordered and have received four ball lock cornies from the Chi Company. I was going to swap out these four ball locks for four used pin locks with my buddy .

But now I'm hesitating. If I am going to change, this would be my opportunity. I could try and sell my seven pin locks and fittings, or swap out and be ball lock forever.

Ten cornies should complete my kegging system. What do you think?

Thanks;.

The only differance between a ball lock keg and a pi lock keg is the (coke) or pin lock has a high pressure safty valve and the ball lock or (pepsi) keg has a manual pressure release valve. If the pin locks have been working fine for you why change?

The other big diff between the two is dimensions. Ball lock and pin lock kegs are different sizes. If the dimensions of the pin lock kegs you have now fit into your kegerator system, that many kegs may not fit as ball lock kegs.
The other bid questions is availability of parts. Ball lock parts are all over. Do you have any trouble finding replacement pin lock parts?

This "nearby brewer" seems awfully interested in your pin locks... so, while the one for one might seem tempting, you're going to incur costs in changing the remainder of your parts/pieces over... so I'd remind him of that. If he's willing to throw in a few bucks to sweeten the deal and help you make the switch, I'd personally do it. Not because I have a dislike for pin locks, because I haven't ever worked with them... I just appreciate the availability of parts and common-ness of the ball locks in our hobby. There's something to be said about using the same thing everyone else is when there are issues or you need something...

.....but, I'll bet you it won't take long for the pin-lockers to chime in and say differently. And that's exactly why I like this place. You hear the good and bad of both sides.

Thanks for the input. If I knew then what I know now I would not have started with pin lock kegs.

Ball lock kegs are cheaper, easier to find parts for, and all of my brewing peers use ball lock. The ball lock kegs are taller (which is OK) and smaller diameter, which is better for my keezer.

But, that being said, I stll have to decide if I want to trade out these four ball lock kegs for four pin locks. I guess there isn't a really good or bad choice, it's just that if I'm ever going to change now would be the time.

Right now I have six ball locks (two are long term loaners from my brother) and I have seven pin locks that have been rebuilt.

Or, I could use both, I have enough parts to accomodate both styles, it just seems easier to have one type.

Thanks.

There is no reason why you cant use both....mabey if you did that would help you decide

Latest posts

Back