Help me decide what's next!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uphillbrewer

Reaction score
Hello HBT! I need some inspiration and direction. After a summer of saisons and Ipa, in looking for a good fall beer that does not feature a pumpkin or is a lager. I've got a sack of British pale malt now, so I'd like to use that. I just finished an oatmeal porter, with bourbon and oak as well. Help please!

uphillbrewer said:
Hello HBT! I need some inspiration and direction. After a summer of saisons and Ipa, in looking for a good fall beer that does not feature a pumpkin or is a lager. I've got a sack of British pale malt now, so I'd like to use that. I just finished an oatmeal porter, with bourbon and oak as well. Help please!

English pale ale FTW!!!

Both good suggestions. Too many hoppy beers lately. ESB might be good. Was thinking Irish ale as well

How much english pale malt do you have? 25 lbs would be perfect. I say a simple 1.5 gallon bitter on the stovetop with 3 lbs pale, a touch of oats or flaked barley and a quarter lb of crystal malt. A paint strainer bag and a 3 gallon pot should be plenty for a small mash. Use the remaining 22 lbs pale malt, the yeast cake from the bitter and a pound of dark crystal for a big barleywine

Brown ale is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Barley wine is good too, but I think in too impatient to wait for it to be ready! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Thanks all! Great suggestions! I really like the brown ale idea, I haven't done a southern brown yet. The barley wine idea is great too, but I'm too impatient to wait for it to finish. Thanks again

Brown ale is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Barley wine is good too, but I think in too impatient to wait for it to be ready! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

That's what the bitter is for! Its basically a big yeast starter that will yield 15 bottles. The great thing is that a 7 day ferment and a couple weeks in the bottle is more than enough time for one. Dont put off those big beers.

The sooner you make a big beer, the sooner you can drink a big beer.

I know. I know. I think it'll be something I brew in the near future. Defiantly a good idea. Right now, brown ale prevails. Going to do a 10 gallon batch of Janet's brown ale split between 001 and 007.

Back