Help me correct my mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockwes

Reaction score
So, i brewed an ipa today and it seemed to come out greatl After a while i realized i forgot the irish moss... I am wanting a really clear beer so i was wondering, is there something i can put in the carboy to get it to settle out that wont give funky off tastes or take away my aroma?

Thanks for the help

Time to settle... Not sure how long you were planning on letting it sit on the yeast cake, but I'd give it a solid month before deciding to do anything else. IF it's still not clear, you can use one of the other fining agents in the batch. IF anyone that might drink the brew has an issue with shellfish, I would just use gelatine. There are some other agents you can use, but I know that one is made from shellfish, so if anyone drinking your brew has an issue with that, don't use it.

I've not needed to use any other agents (I have yet to forget to use either Irish moss or a Whirlfloc tablet in a batch)... I'm sure someone here that has used them will chime in about best methods. Of course, if you give the brew long enough, there's a good chance you won't need to do even that.

I have heard the time option... I am out of beer now though... HAHA...

Also, i put alot into it to make the hop aroma and brightness come out. I dont want to loose this by ageing it to long.

Thanks for the suggestions tho

Not a lot of experience here but I have finished three batches now, an alt beer, a stout and a lager. The alt beer was done in 6 weeks and still a bit cloudy, the stout done in 6 weeks and also cloudy, the lager was lagered for 8 weeks after a 2 week ferment and is perfectly clear. So with my limited experience I find that aging and patience is the best for me at clearing beers.

All kinds of options not just gelatin, but that works great if you have a couple of weeks, My favorite is poly-clar\divergen works in a couple of days, but cost a pretty penny if you buy at the Home Brew stores. Filtering is another option, coffee filters before you keg will take out many of the big floaty pieces.

Actually, doesn't look like they're all that expensive... Depending on how much you're looking to get...

I would just pick something from the list of options, IF you need it... Just be aware that "Super-Kleer K.C. Finings" is the one i was talking about earlier.
The K is for kieselsol and the C is for chitosan.
Allergy warning: chitosan is a shellfish derivative.

I've only been using Irish Moss and Whirlfloc tablets in my brews... You might be ok if you give the brew some more time on the yeast cake. If it goes 6 weeks and it's still cloudy, then I'd consider using one of the agents to help clear it up... Or just cold crash it (if you have a fridge you can use for that)... Just make sure you have plenty of Irish Moss/Whirlfloc tablets on hand for future brews... I'm liking how convenient Whirlfloc tablets are... Plus, they seem to do just as good a job as Irish Moss...

Back