Help! Kegging issues for a first time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkrogue

Reaction score
This was my first time kegging. Bought a couple used (dirty) kegs and all new equipment, lines, fittings, and a tank. Cleaned everything with PBw, sanitized, hooked up everything, tested the tank and lines for leaks with Starsan, everything seemed ok. I kegged about nine days ago at 10 psi and put in the fridge. At first I think the hose clamps were loose so I tightened pretty tight. Every other day or so I'd try a sampler to see how it was doing, I couldn't wait, it's my best batch so far. A couple days ago, I got impatient and turned the psi up to about 14 to try and accelerate the carbonation. I heard soMe odd noises, after reading some other threads I suppose they could have been bubbles. Tonight I got home, went into my basement and immediately smelled beer. There was a puddle of beer under the fridge and the co2 tank was empty.

I'm not sure how this will affect the beer, probably can't get a refill until this weekend. Ruined? Any ideas as to what went wrongs?

Thanks in advance! This site is a lifesaver.

My first guess would be the "liquid out" post is leaking or the faucet. When you get your bottle filled, do the same thing, except this time monitor it and see where it's leaking.

Thx gdbrewer. The beer shld be fine right? If it is the out line, I guess I shld disconnect it right to keep the keg closed off and pressurized?

Yeah, I bet it'll be fine. Just do you like you said until you get your co2 bottle filled.

This was my first time kegging. Bought a couple used (dirty) kegs and all new equipment, lines, fittings, and a tank. Cleaned everything with PBw, sanitized, hooked up everything, tested the tank and lines for leaks with Starsan, everything seemed ok. I kegged about nine days ago at 10 psi and put in the fridge. At first I think the hose clamps were loose so I tightened pretty tight. Every other day or so I'd try a sampler to see how it was doing, I couldn't wait, it's my best batch so far. A couple days ago, I got impatient and turned the psi up to about 14 to try and accelerate the carbonation. I heard soMe odd noises, after reading some other threads I suppose they could have been bubbles. Tonight I got home, went into my basement and immediately smelled beer. There was a puddle of beer under the fridge and the co2 tank was empty.

I'm not sure how this will affect the beer, probably can't get a refill until this weekend. Ruined? Any ideas as to what went wrongs?

Thanks in advance! This site is a lifesaver.

Your fine.. Refill tank and resume at 12-14psi for 2 weeks. Thus happened to me a couple times on different setups/occasions. Every beer was fine and one was our best ever.. Just relax and have a homebrew. No worries. In terms of what went wrong, sounds like an o ring.. I replace all new o rings on a new keg.

Mix a little bit of hand soap and water in a spray bottle and spray all areas where a connection occurs. Then you will find your leak.. Any questions feel free to message me.

Good luck

Back