Help diagnosing Keezer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
I've had this GE 7.0 keezer for about a year and it has worked great...until recently:

1. Cycles more often, probably once every 2-3 hours. Didn't used to do this.

2. Compressor runs for a very long time. I have my temp set to 36* with a 3* differential . The compressor has been running for probably around 1.5 - 2 hours currently and is at 36.5*. Compressor may have been running even longer than that (blackbird temp probe is in a very large pitcher of water).

3. A weird (whistling?) noise. This noise has been around since i purchased the freezer off CL. It didn't seem to affect cooling so I ignored it, even though its crazy annoying. Here is a video I took just now so that you can hear the noise. I am very technically illiterate, but maybe this is the compressor fan? Is it slowly dying and therefore not blowing cold air into the chamber? The noise can be heard when compressor turns on and for a while after it turns off.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqpVqIds1l8[/ame]

Let me know what you guys think. Compressor dying? Fan dying? Fixable? Luckily I didn't attach the collar permanently to the keezer, so I can remove and add to a new freezer (although I am dead broke). I did the flashlight test and couldn't see any light coming out, except for a pinhole where I'm running the blackbird probe under the lid gasket.

Also: Is having two computer fans pointless? I tried one and still had foam and added the second fan and seemed to help.

THANK YOU!

Well, my keezer won't get colder than 39 degrees, its been running for two hours. Tried plugging it directly into the wall, same thing. Guess I im putting a new one on the credit card...WHYYYYY

With only a couple of exceptions (Igloo, for instance) modern chest freezers have no fans, probably because both the evaporator and the condenser loops are buried on opposite sites of the cabinet insulation (evap inside, condenser outside) so there's not much of anything useful for a fan to do.

So that whining noise is either some weird compressor vibration harmonic in the cabinet, or the compressor itself. Maybe a bearing going to Heaven, I dunno. But modern chest freezers are designed to get to well below zero, and if one doesn't drop the cabinet temperature below zero within an hour or two, something definitely ain't working right.

My previous keezer was almost 16 years old when it began a months-long death sequence, likely due to worn seals. It happens. Fortunately, generic chest freezers are remarkably cheap these days and more efficient than their elders, and to be honest, the 13cf unit I bought to replace the 10cf decedent uses half the energy per month.

So I count that loss as a win ;)

Cheers!

Back