Help converting LME to AG for a porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katman

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a extract porter recipe that I have been brewing for a while and it has become my favorite brew. Recently I have started doing some BIAB recipes and would like to try and make my favorite porter AG but I can not figure out how to convert the amber LME in it to all grain. I did pull up the product info sheet from Briess and the ingredients listed are only malted barley and water. The LME is Briess CBW® Sparkling Amber LME and the full recipe is below:

RECIPE STATS
Est. SG:1.045-1.055
Est. FG:1.010-1.015
IBU:40
SRM:29
ABV:5%

INGREDIENTS
6.5lbs Amber LME
0.5lb Amber Malt
0.5 lb Black (Patent) Malt
0.25lb Caramel Malt 120

1.5oz Nugget@ 60 minutes
0.5oz Nugget@ 10minutes

Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast

Not worth it, it's not a good Porter recipe. It's an Amber-made-black.
Porters need chocolate malt (layered, if possible) for flavor and color. A little Black Patent can be used to adjust (deepen) color.

Also, the Amber malt in that recipe needs to be mashed, and since it has no diastatic power itself, together with a diastatic malt (2-row). Just steeping won't yield much.

Have you looked in our recipe database for proven Porter recipes?
Here are American Porters:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/homebrew-ale-recipes.62/?prefix_id=77
Edmund Fitzgerald is awesome, I can recommend it!

Use the style filter in the database header to pull up any style you want.

I'm looking forward to the article!
I have no idea yet which issue it will be in. I'll certainly give you a heads up when I find out.
I submitted it a couple of months ago; I'll probably query Dave a while after the holidays to see if he's scheduled it by then.

... recipe that I have been brewing for a while and it has become my favorite brew.

For a five gallon batch, here's how I would approach the conversion of the Amber LME to 85% 2 Row, 10% Caramel 60, 5% Munich 10 L

6.5 lbs of Amber LME is 236 gravity points (36 PPG * 6.5 lbs) which will result in about 47 GPs in 5 gallons of wort.

At 75% efficiency (and some rounding to the nearest quarter pound) this becomes roughly:
  • 7 lb, 8 oz Pale Ale / Two Row
  • 8 oz Munich 10
  • 16 oz Crystal 60
Different software will likely have slightly different values for ingredient PPG.

update (about 30 min after initial post): Mash around 154* F, brewing salts appropriate for a darker beer. Also note that I targeted 5 gal (not 5.5 g gal) when I did the LME to grains conversion.

Last edited:
Porters need chocolate malt (layered, if possible) for flavor and color.

Well in London where the style originated, the defining ingredient of porters is brown malt. The Fuller's version is pretty much the benchmark modern example and is delicious :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...m-the-horses-mouth.642756/page-3#post-8674860

Not that it helps the OP with the original question, but it gives an idea of what great all-grain porter recipes look like out in the real world.

Well in London where the style originated, the defining ingredient of porters is brown malt. The Fuller's version is pretty much the benchmark modern example and is delicious :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...m-the-horses-mouth.642756/page-3#post-8674860

Not that it helps the OP with the original question, but it gives an idea of what great all-grain porter recipes look like out in the real world.
Thanks for the fill!
The brown malt was on my mind, but totally forgot to mention it. It makes British Porters and benefits American Porters too. Black Butte is another I brewed regularly.

Now there's the original undermodified Brown Malt from when the style originated, and the Brown Malt available today, a whole different product from what I gather.

Latest posts

Back