Help constructing a Flanders Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've put together a very rough recipe based loosely off the Brewing Classic Styles recipe, and before I even consider tying up an FV for an extended period of time, I'd like some suggestions.

5 gallon batch

4 lb belgian pils
4 lb vienna
2 lb munich
8 oz aromatic
8 oz caramunich
4 oz special B

1.5 oz Tettenang addition at 60 mins

Not sure whether to pitch Roselare, or to try and culture from Duchesse. I'm thinking the latter.

Also thinking of adding oak cubes, which I've never done. How much would I use, and for how long?

You should plan on using the Roselare, Duchess is pasteurized/filtered and is devoid of anything you'll be able to actually culture. I have the Flanders Red from BCS currently aging (pitched the roselare straight-up) and seems to be coming along nicely.

Hmmm....I recall JZ saying on one of the of Brewing Network shows he'd harvested from Duchesse. The bottle I just picked up gave me the idea. Perhaps my memory is foggy though, cause a little research concurs that it's filtered. Roselare it is, then. Thanks!

I just heard him say the same thing, I think it was in regards to his first attempts at culturing bottle dregs or something. I dunno. Anyway good luck with the brew.

Back