Hello from Luna Pier, MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Pirate Point Brewer. We sail the West Basin of Lake Erie in the summer. In the evenings when we dock, we and our sailing friends gather for a cook out & campfire. We make an effort to drink up what we brewed all winter! So summer is Sailing & Drinking Season.

In winter, we try to brew one or two batches a weekend. We keg & bottle to get ready for summer. We usually have a fire in the fireplace so we call winter our Burning & Brewing season.

We do have a good type of problem, In the Burning & Brewing Season, quite often, one or more of our sailing friends show up to help "Burn & Brew" only they do more "Drinking & Burning" than Brewing. Life's a struggle!! We'll take it!! :mug::mug:

Thanks mbird,

You are correct!! And in a much better place just now. Ludington & Hart are on the West cost of MI nearly at the half way point between the North & South of the lower pennsula. They have gotten KILLED with lake effect snow almost constant for two weeks during the recent midwest deep freeze!! I hope thier snowblowers were in good repair!! Luna Pier is on the Southeast coast just 6 miles north of the Ohio border right on the lake. Being on the east side we missed the sever lake effect that your family suffered however ... we did not miss out on the deep freeze part. We wished we were in Mexico on a beach drinking but ... we put more wood on the fireplace and brewed two batchs each weekend.

We are brewing a series of American Pale Ales. Each has the same very simple grain bill. We then have chosen a different hop variety for each batch holding a BU/GU of .75 with only one late addition for taste at 20 min of boil. The late addition was calculated to contribute 25% of the IBU requied to get the BU/GU in target. We have learned a lot about what hops we like and some don't like as well but ....... they are like women ......... some are just a little less fantastic than others!! We are also building a nice stock of very simple and satisfying session beers for the beach if we ever see a summer again!:mug:

Hello ISLAGI & GeorgeH,

I see we're surrounded by great brewers! 15 min South must be in the Point Place area?? Anyway we probably have passed ISLAGI at Titgemeyr's. I'm the one carrying the gran bags, the Princess is the pretty one with the car keys & checkbook! Life is a struggle! She figures if she buys, at least one of the batches will be what she likes ........ Good Thinking!!

We had an apartment for a very short time in Canton when we moved here from Connecticut back in 98. Busy little town!! The Princess and our daughter's still go to IKEA at least twice a year on "Girl's Days"

The Princess & I met when I worked in Cincinnati. So she is a Died in the Wool BUCKEYE FAN!! All three of our daughters have married men from Michigan, and have become Wolveriens. Boy I hate the OSU/UofM game!!

Me I'm a Buckerine! I root for both until the Big Game, then I'm a Buckeye!
(remember the car keys & checkbook!!):mug::mug:

Hello Jim,

SW Michigan can cover alot of teritorry! But its good to know there are other homebrewer's still out there. Here in SE, we hear that you as well of us has been pretty beaten up for jobs etc. I myself have lost a 30 year career and six fig income to the loss of manufacturing. I won't get started but its good to know there are survivors in SW MI as well.

What are brewin ....... What are ya doin??????????/

Hey Dragon Tail,

Thanks for the Howdy! Not sure where Salem is but its got to be colder just now than we are. Nicest part of brewing in the winter is the extra heat output............ so........ Keep brewing:mug::mug:

Back