New All-Grain brewer in Port Dover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinMcN

Reaction score
Hello Everyone from Port Dover, Ontario, Canada.
I've been scrolling and reading through the threads on this site for almost a year now. My wife bought me a Mr. Beer Kit for Christmas back in 2013, I brewed m first few batches in the new year (2014) and it was pretty darn good. She said I ruined my christmas gift that year because she pointed it out in one of our flyers saying how neat it was, but then I told her about my "experience" with "homebrew" back in collage. We (a few collage friends and I) made some cheap beer from the local UBrew store in Perth Ontario (just south west of Ottawa where I went to collage), I had some from there before and it was ok, but the day we canned it we were so excited we went home and started drinking it right away while watch BeerFest the movie. I was not good at all. Most of my friends ended dumping the rest of it. I honestly can't remember if I finished mine or not. I told my childhood friend from home about it and he said they did the same things and how bad it was (he went to collage before me in Kempville Ontario).
After that experience I had no hope for home brewed beer until I gave my new Mr Beer kit a go. It was worlds ahead of what we had from the UBrew store (which now I think our biggest mistake was not letting it age).
From then I made a few more Mr Beer Kits until the following christmas when my parents bought be some 5 gallon "kit and kilo" kits from a local supplier. From there I bought a used Coopers DIY Beer Kit from online so I could brew my new 5 gallon pre-hopped kits. It came with bottles too which was a great start.
Those brews were good but not great, so late this past summer I started into extract brewing with kits form OBK. I had some really good ones with them. I brewed up a Red Irish Ale, English Brown Ale, and Belgian Table Beer for christmas this past year and everyone loved them. But now I want to take my brewing another step farther. I want better control of my brews then I would get with an extract base.
So I'm jumping into All-Grain Brewing.
I am really excited to take this step. Ive been reading about it for a few months and have been collecting and making equipment to get prepared.

Tomorrow is my first ever all-grain brew day. Im really excited about it, except its supposed to be about 2C outside with some wind and gusts that are pretty high. But I'm gonna go for it anyways. If it all goes ok then ill have a second brew day on sunday too (which is supposed to be much nicer out).
My goal this year (started a week ago) is to not buy any more store bought beer this year. I can only drink what I brew, so I need to keep a good brew schedule. The last beer that I bought was 30 reg cans of Old Style Pilsner and when I paid I thought of how many grains I could of bought instead. 30 cans is just shy of a 25kg sac of 2-row base malt. Its ridiculous.

Sorry for the long post. I'll post about my brew tomorrow. FYI I'll be brewing the Centennial Blonde by BierMuncher.

Back