Hello from Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thamnophis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie trying to turn some of the resources we are developing on our small farm into anything and everything edible!
We've done elderberry, strawberry and black raspberry wine. This year we tried "natural" wine with about 250 pounds of red and white grapes.

I've brewed a couple batches of beer, some in the beer in a bag method. And I am interested in soy sauce, fish sauce, natural fermented vegetables - beets, etc.

I am learning to grow barley, grapes, wheat, hops, apples for cider, etc

The biggest challenge for me is not the growing, but the processing. I tried (and failed) to build a small thresher for the barley and wheat. Ended up crushing the grapes using a plastic kids pool, some plastic boots and enthusiastic child labor :)

I have a strong proclivity for the easy, adding complexity only if I find it necessary. I'm not trying to impress anyone with the perfect anything, rather trying to make more of what we need, trying to enjoy the whole process as a family and saving as much money as possible!

I'm blessed with a rather un-refined palate, my wife and friends not so much ;-)

Joe
Central Iowa

Back