Hello from Illinois!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnQBrew

Reaction score
hey everyone- newbie here from just outside of chicago.

I've been wanting to get started in this hobby for a looooooooong time now, and my wife finally made it possible this past christmas.
I have a Perfect Brewing deluxe hardware kit, a 30 qt turkey fryer, and a fresh copy of Palmer's "How To Brew".
Oh yeah, and my first batch is in the fermenter as I type.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you!

wish me luck!

-Chris

Hello to Illinois from Illinois.

Welcome to the forums, they are an amazing resource, also great for last minute questions.

I must say, you wife doesn't know what she has started, or she is totally awesome... or both.

Welcome to the forums. I have had numerous hobbies over the years, but this one is by far the best. Good luck and happy brewing.

Hey welcome, we're almost neighbors. There's a homebrew club in Round Lake, I haven't checked it out yet but am planning to soon.

Hello Illinois from Illinois! Welcome to this little corner of insanity and addiction! Now that you've got your first beer fermenting, LEARN PATIENCE! That, I believe, is the hardest part of brewing! And I know where Round Lake Beach is!

Enjoy!
glenn514:mug:

Your wife has no clue what she got herself in for. You've started ahead of most of us with the 30 qt kettle. I started with a 5-gallon pot... And bought a bigger one within a couple months. Good luck on the first brew. And yes, there's lots of homebrew clubs in the area. Give us a shout if you need help finding one.

First batch was a pale ale, I'll be bottling that tonight.

2nd batch started on Saturday- a Fat Tire replica recipe. Fermentation started VERY slowly, actually kind of scared me a bit... I thought I had screwed something up. But it seems to be moving along nicely now.
Once I get the pale ale bottled I'm planning to transfer the "Flat Tire" into that bucket for secondary fermentation this coming weekend.

I can already tell that this is going to become more of an obsession than a hobby. I've been looking at some clubs in the area, I know of BABBLE...

As for my wife- I think she did this with purely selfish intentions. After all, she's going to get to drink everything I make!

I assume that the "Flat Tire" came from Perfect Brewing Supply? I really liked that kit, I think it was the second or third extract kit that I made.

I also liked their Mickey Finn's Abana Amber and Ober-Easy kits.

Yep, the kit was from Perfect Brewing Supply. So far those guys have been an amazing resource for me.
I'll have to try that Ober-Easy kit in the near future.

Back