Hello, all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Totally boring title. Oh, well.

A few friends taught me how to make wine a couple of years ago. Before that, I was afraid of doing it because it seemed so complicated. But afterward, I was hooked. (Their recipe was simple: Grape juice in a disinfected pint water bottle, add yeast, top with a balloon with pin holes in it.)

I'm still a newbie, but that started my journey. I've made fermented sodas, as well as more wine. I tried making hard cider and mead, but panicked and threw them out though nothing was wrong with them. I am presently making mead again. I have lurked here a few times in the past few months for information, and decided to join a few days ago.

I have always used a balloon with pinholes, but a couple of friends gifted me a bung (I got different sizes later, in anticipation of using assorted sizes of bottles) and three airlocks. My biggest concern is that I won't ferment something long enough or that I'll ferment it too long. With wine and a balloon, it's easy to tell when it's ready; I'm not so sure about other drinks or how to tell if wine is ready if I'm using an airlock - but I expect I'll learn a lot here.

This is an exciting journey. I'm glad the forum is here.

I could have sworn I answered this.

Thank you for the welcome. Though I don't care for any beer I have tasted, I would be interested in trying to make it.

I could have sworn I answered this.

Thank you for the welcome. Though I don't care for any beer I have tasted, I would be interested in trying to make it.

Well, no, you really didn't. You mentioned wine and mead. Perhaps you haven't cared for beer because you haven't made it yourself?

Well, no, you really didn't. You mentioned wine and mead.
I wrote a reply and hit "post reply" I thought, and I even thought it showed that it had posted, but several minutes later my post was not there. I'm glad to see that my second reply stayed there.

Perhaps you haven't cared for beer because you haven't made it yourself?
That is a really good point. You could be right.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

Lots of great advice on here.

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

Thank you for the welcome. :)

There are some really nice, simple wine recipes that don't require a lot of gear. Check out EdWort's Apfelwein (apple juice, sugar, yeast). Yooper has a simple Welch's grape juice wine. There's also Skeeter Pee, a lemon juice-based wine.
Thanks for this. I'll look at the links.

Back