Hello all please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klowe0419

Reaction score
I just racked my brown ale to the secondary with a final of 1.010 and I had a small taste..... It had a strong sharp taste like a high alcohol taste but its only 5% but the beer didn't have a good mouthfeel I'm a new brewer and idk if I did something wrong

How long was it in Primary? It is likely just green, give it time in Secondary like another 2-4 weeks, then move it along in bottles or kegs, don't rush it there either as it will get better with time

Toy4Rick

Sounds done at 1.010. Good there. The sharp alcohol taste will mellow with time and you will definitely gain mouthfeel with carbonation. The sharp taste is usually from fusel alcohols due to fermenting too high (over 73 or so) or with big fluctuations in temp during fermentation. Carb it up and give it a good 3-4 weeks in the bottle. You'll be fine. I've been brewing for 7 years and still learn something to change all the time - that's what it's all about!

If you are patient and give this a full 4 weeks to bottle carb/condition (at 70*F, longer at lower temps), I bet you'll like it.

Latest posts

Back