Hefeweizen with passionfruit puree question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knullkupf

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a Hefeweizen and adding passionfruit puree after primary fermentation. My question is: if the puree has potassium sorbate in it, it might not ferment but should still add flavor right? Would this be a problem if the beer is already almost fermented out? Has anyone used puree with potassium sorbate with the idea of it not fermenting but adding flavor?

Planning on brewing a Hefeweizen and adding passionfruit puree after primary fermentation. My question is: if the puree has potassium sorbate in it, it might not ferment but should still add flavor right? Would this be a problem if the beer is already almost fermented out? Has anyone used puree with potassium sorbate with the idea of it not fermenting but adding flavor?
I'll speculate a bit: If in fact the potassium sorbate contents of the puree stunts further fermentation, the resulting beer may be sweeter than you intended. If the puree is not that sweet it may not be an issue, and only add complexity to the flavor profile.

You may have trouble naturally carbing if you add it. Not a problem if you force carb. (-and I agree with mpls_brewing that sweetness could be a problem).

You could probably find passionfruit option that doesn't have the potassium sorbate. It's a very small infection risk, but I've just bought frozen fruit with no preservatives, thawed it a bit in the bag, smushed it up in the bag, and dumped in after primary fermentation. Worked great.

Oregon Fruit makes a Passionfruit Puree. It doesn't contain anything that will stun your yeast, and it is aseptic, so no worries about sanitation.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your replies. I think I will find check out Oregon Fruit and save the stuff with preservatives in it for mixed drinks!

How much do you add to a five gallon batch?
I added about 2.5 pounds (scaling up from the 1-2.5 gallon batches I usually make). Remember that it's 50 Brix, so you're adding well over a pound of sugar (not a problem for the Tripel ... though I skipped the dextrose/candi syrup additions completely.)

Back