Hefeweizen usually slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeus

Reaction score
Hi all, I did a partial mash hefeweizen about 3 weeks ago and the fermentation has seemed really slow. I've kept the fermenter around 68-70, but I don't see the usual streams of bubbles going up the side of the carboy as I normally do. Is this usual for hefeweizen or is my yeast just a bit sluggish?

not at all. hefes are usually crazy fast...and what makes you think it's going slow? have you taken a hydrometer reading? bubbles are no indication of fermentation. after three weeks, a typical hefe is ready to bottle.

DeathBrewer said:
not at all. hefes are usually crazy fast...and what makes you think it's going slow? have you taken a hydrometer reading? bubbles are no indication of fermentation. after three weeks, a typical hefe is ready to bottle.

Really slow airlock activity as well as lack of bubbles within the wort itself. I know I probably should take a hyrdometer reading, it just had a slow start and has been a bit cold in my house so I was hoping slow activity was normal.

Hypothetically, let's say the gravity is still high. It's been in the secondary for a week now. Should I pitch more yeast or would that ruin the batch?

I have never had a hefe go slow ..... take a hydro reading - your fermentation may be over .....

At three weeks, I'd imagine it's done, unless it was really cold. I just started fermenting my hefes with 3068 at 62 degrees, and they were done in under 2 weeks.

Mikeus said:
Hypothetically, let's say the gravity is still high. It's been in the secondary for a week now. Should I pitch more yeast or would that ruin the batch?

Why guess...take a reading

Take a reading my bet is you could be bottling it and drinking in a couple weeks.

Back