Hefeweizen RO water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
Hello I have been messing with water profiles for a hefeweizen made out of 100% RO water. Does anyone have any good tried and true salt additions that have worked well?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is what I have used on my hefeweizens with good results:

Ca: 18
Mg: 20
Na: 17
SO4: 27
Cl: 32
CHO3: 73

Do you use any acid addition to drop your ph at all?

I used 1.5ml lactic acid in 3 gal of mash water and 2.5ml lactic acid in 5.2 gal sparge water.

If you are an AHA member, the March/April 2014 issue of Zymurgy had a great article on the Brewing Water Series for Bavaria.

Do you use any acid addition to drop your ph at all?

Using 100% RO and having a low SRM, you will most likely have to drop the mash ph some. Bru'n Water is really good at helping dial in mash ph by utilizing your water profile, salt additions, and grain bill. After you have all that plugged in, it will give you the overall mash ph, and you can decide if you want to use acid malt or lactic acid to further lower the ph into the desired range.

I had the same dilemma last week before I brewed my first hefeweizen. I wound up using a very soft profile that one might use for a pilsner lager. In addition, I saw some recent posts from the big guys in the water chemistry world saying that a REALLY soft water profile (like 15 ppm Ca) is good for a pils, so I went with that in the hefeweizen. I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks whether that was a good idea.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brun-water-bohemian-pilsner-479264/

Definitely let us know how it turns out. I ended up going with just a half teaspoon of calcium chloride putting me at 40 calcium 50 chloride and some acid malt.

Back