Hefeweizen over carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtletank

Reaction score
Just bottled 5 gallons of hefeweizen and i opened one 24 hours later and it's looking like i over carbed it. I put in 3.2 volumes of CO2 which equaled 12 tbsp. I didnt have a problem last time with the same amount. Maybe it didnt finish fermenting? It ended in 1.01 started at 1.044. Can i fix it by lagering it in the fridge so they arent all bombs or am i S.O.L.

Attachments

• 20230210_162057.jpg
    20230210_162057.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 0
Most folks let the bottle conditioning phase run for a week or two to give time for the beer to absorb the produced CO2.
If you did successive "final gravity" checks and the readings were unchanged it's more likely you simply opened that bottle about a week too soon :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I usually let it sit 2 weeks but thought this one might be over carbed being i had to add dme to bring gravity up after boil. I hope thats the case though that it just needs to sit longer and mellow out.. I thought i sat way under the styles recommended CO2. I guess time will tell.

Most folks let the bottle conditioning phase run for a week or two to give time for the beer to absorb the produced CO2.
If you did successive "final gravity" checks and the readings were unchanged it's more likely you simply opened that bottle about a week too soon :)

Cheers!
You aren't waiting 2 - 3 weeks for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer. You are waiting for the yeast to create the CO2. Bottle conditioning takes longer than primary fermentation because the concentration of yeast is so much lower. The CO2 is dissolved in the beer as it is created - one molecule at a time by the yeast metabolizing the sugar into CO2 and ethanol. When you chill a warm bottle of beer, some of the CO2 in the headspace re-dissolves into the beer because of the way the CO2 partial pressure vs. carbonation equilibrium changes with temperature.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back