Hefe Weizen 30dC Rule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
I've read that the sum of the pitching and ferementation temperature should equal 30 degrees C for a Bavarian Hefe Weizen. I plan to use WLP300 with a 1 liter starter as calculated by Mr. Malty (stir plate). I really love the banana flavor of the Hefe Weizen so I am planning to ferement at 67 degrees F... shooting for as much banana as Paulaner. This would mean I should pitch at 52 degrees F. This seems a bit cold so I'm not sure if it makes sense. What would be a good pitching temperature for this yeast? How long should I leave the wort + yeast at the pitching temperature before raising it to the fermentation temperature and how fast should I increase that temperature (degrees/hr)?

I know fermentation is everything with this brew so any help from some hefe vets is much appreciated.

I would pitch at 67F and let it warm up to 72F slowly over the first 7 days. After that it should be close to terminal gravity, give it another 7 days, check gravity and then keg and carb. You'll want to have this one in the glass in about 21 days IMO.

I have never brewed a hefe, so this is only a regurgitation, but I have also heard about the rule of 30. With that, I have heard about how the rule of 30 is often misunderstood.

I am sorry to pull a "Jamil says...", but Jamil has spoken quite a bit about how he couldn't get his hefeweizen correct until he fermented it at 62F (a tip he was given by Harold Gulbransen).

So if you take that knowledge, and apply the practice of pitching low and bringing the wort up to temp over the first ~24 hours, you get something that looks like this....

Pitch at 58F (14C), and ferment at 62F (16C).

Your "rule of 30" works out perfectly, and if you ask me, looks a lot cleaner than a 15 degree swing.

Again, I have never tried it, but it is exactly what I would do if I brewed a hefe.

Joe

Following Jamil's fermentation scheme is fine if he is looking to produce the same beer as Jamil. Greatschmaltz said he wants more banana, to get the added banana flavor he is looking for would mean shooting for a slightly warmer fermentation temperature.

From Kai
"On occasions brewers hear of a German rule of thumb that the pitching and fermentation temperature of a Weissbier should add up to 30. This is a rule that existed but it has been misinterpreted. The reference, which I found for this rule, refereed to the pitching temperature and the ambient temperature of the fermentation room. It was intend to keep the fermentation temperature from rising above 18 C (64 F) when small open fermented were used which were not temperature controlled [Narziss, 2005]. It is clear that this rule can not necessarily be applied to home brewing but, as with all beers, it is advisable to pitch Weissbiers below fermentation temperature."

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Weissbier_Hell

I've been using WLP 300 and fermenting at 64F and it's loaded with banana flavor. Almost no clove as I don't care much for that flavor. And that recipe he recommends is awesome. Though I'd be inclined to drop the caramunich down 2 oz from his recipe.

Do you follow Kai's conditioning period at 50dF for a week? I thought you may want to heat up the fermentor to upper 60s at the conditioning stage to ensure all sugars are converted.

I pitched Danstar munich onto a standard hefe grain bill, at 14, and ended at 16/17C for about 10 days. FURIOUS fermentation, and in the end, a Hefeweizen that tasted overwhelmingly like grapefruit.

I was not impressed.

Do you follow Kai's conditioning period at 50dF for a week? I thought you may want to heat up the fermentor to upper 60s at the conditioning stage to ensure all sugars are converted.

Drop it to 50F once fermentation is complete. Doing so will drop out most of the yeast.

Using WB-06 I fermented a 55/45 wheat malt to 2-row brew. Temp was in the low 60s when I pitched and then I dropped it to around 58 for 24 hours. Afterwards I allowed the temp to rise gradually over the course of a week to 66 and held steady until the krausen fell (about 5 days iirc). Once visible fermentation subsided I let the fermenter rise to 72 and conditioned for 7 days. Awesome banana/clove balance, plenty of powdery yeast in suspension to add to the deliciousness...God I love it. If it weren't for the fact that I overhopped a bit, this would be a damn good heffe. I think pitching and fermenting on the cold side early really is "best practice" for this style. Allowing the temp to rise gradually should provide the banana the OP wants while maintaning some nice clove to offset.

I have never brewed a hefe, so this is only a regurgitation, but I have also heard about the rule of 30. With that, I have heard about how the rule of 30 is often misunderstood.

I am sorry to pull a "Jamil says...", but Jamil has spoken quite a bit about how he couldn't get his hefeweizen correct until he fermented it at 62F (a tip he was given by Harold Gulbransen).

So if you take that knowledge, and apply the practice of pitching low and bringing the wort up to temp over the first ~24 hours, you get something that looks like this....

Pitch at 58F (14C), and ferment at 62F (16C).

Your "rule of 30" works out perfectly, and if you ask me, looks a lot cleaner than a 15 degree swing.

Again, I have never tried it, but it is exactly what I would do if I brewed a hefe.

Joe
I just brewed a hefe using Jamil's temperatures, and was really unimpressed. It suppressed the ester formation, if you want a very mild hefe this is a perfect temp. to ferment at, but I like a heavy ester hefe. keep it around 68-70* for an internal temp, you start getting higher you'll start getting more and more banana.

Back