Heat issues - what does that mean really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Before my 4th batch I'm looking into possible issues with off flavors and I've been reading a lot about brewing in the summer heat. After looking at posts on chillers and such I'd like some clarification on why heat is a problem and what it does.

For example, when people say "brewing in this summer heat is so troublesome" are they referring to trying to keep the temp down during fermentation? Or are they talking about trying to cool quickly prior to pitching? Does one have more of an impact than the other? What effects does a high temperature during fermentation have on the batch? Would it be off flavors or stuck fermentation?

I plan on using some ideas I found here to cool my carboy for my next batch but I want to make sure I'm focusing on the "big" issues instead of something that might not be a problem with my off flavors.

Trying to keep the temps down for the first few days of fermentation. If the yeast is fermenting higher than the recommended temp range they get stressed out and can produce off flavors such as bubblegum for instance.

I think most people are referring to the fermenting temps. Trying to keep the wort between 65 and 75 degrees in the summer heat can be a challange. Especially for those of us that do not have ac in the house. I submerge my primary in a drum case full of water and put ice blocks in there for the 1st few days of fermentation. I also wait to pitch the yeast until the temp of the wort is down to about 68 degrees F.

Mostly, brewing in the heat is a pain to keep the brewer cool and focused. But, on muni water the delivery temp rises too and many have some serious issues getting the wort chilled to pitch temp adequately even with the most efficient of chillers so, pre-chillers and Ice get used to drive the dagger home.

For me, it's more to do with the heat and humidity sucking the life outta me.

Yes, you are correct about the need for rapid cooling post-boil and fermentation temperature control to avoid off flavors.

You need a an immersion chiller and a chest freezer with a temperature controller. ;)

Pretzel, I'm not sure what context people are referring to when they say heat is troublesome.

In my experience, heat problems can be overcome. Your biggest concern regarding heat IMO is during active fermentation. Keep your beer fermenting in the yeasts range, typically mid 60's. This is very important as heat can add off flavors (banana and hot tastes) as you suggest above.

Yes, you are correct about the need for rapid cooling post-boil and fermentation temperature control to avoid off flavors.

You need a an immersion chiller and a chest freezer with a temperature controller. ;)

Where I live it's well into the high 80's, low 90's during the day, so I use both of the above mentioned items. I use a Johnson Controls Thermostat on my spare freezer in the garage and it works beautifully. No matter how high the temp in the garage, the wort stays a cool 68 for Ale. :rockin:

My plan for the next batch was to put the carboy in a cooler filled with water and add some ice to the water once a day, as others have posted about in this forum. But I just did a test and put some water in the cooler and let it sit in my fermenting closet and the water reads 72 with no ice. If my beer has been at 72 then it should have been OK during fermentation.

For pre-pitch cooling I've been using the same cooler filled with ice and water and putting my boiling pot in there. This seems to work well but I can't recall exactly what temp I get prior to pitching. I need to watch this more closely next time. I do hate to take temps at that time though since it's opening the wort to the elements and risking contanimation.

Hopefully I can pin down my off taste issue soon because so far nothing has come out that I'd like to share with others. I am making it more difficult though because I keep trying new recipes and changing the variables. I'm even using liquid yeast and grains for the first time on this next one.

Hopefully I can pin down my off taste issue soon because so far nothing has come out that I'd like to share with others.

I would never ridicule a brewer for trying to improve technique but, please do keep in mind that oft times we are more critical of ourselves than we need be.

I am guilty of this as well. Too often I have made a product that I personally found to be subpar or a failure. Most of the times I have conceded to allow others to taste this product, expecting a confirmation, I have been told that the it is exactly to style.

Point is, when learning,. Feedback is critical.

My plan for the next batch was to put the carboy in a cooler filled with water and add some ice to the water once a day, as others have posted about in this forum. But I just did a test and put some water in the cooler and let it sit in my fermenting closet and the water reads 72 with no ice. If my beer has been at 72 then it should have been OK during fermentation.

In my opinion, 72 is a bit too high. Plus, the actual fermentation is exothermic- putting off heat. So, the temperature inside a fermenter (without the water bath) can be as much as 8-10 degrees higher. So, that 72 degree temperature can easily be 80 during an active fermentation.

I have my fermenter in a water bath if the weather is warm, and the 64 degree temperature is the temperature of the fermenting wort, not the room temperature.

I would never ridicule a brewer for trying to improve technique but, please do keep in mind that oft times we are more critical of ourselves than we need be.

I am guilty of this as well. Too often I have made a product that I personally found to be subpar or a failure. Most of the times I have conceded to allow others to taste this product, expecting a confirmation, I have been told that the it is exactly to style.

Point is, when learning,. Feedback is critical.

I totally agree. I am overly critical but I'm not sure I'm even in the ballpark of "tastes kind of like this style". It's drinkable, but so far I haven't come close to what I'd call a normal flavor.

I'm not going to bring the samples to them, but if they come over and ask I will get feedback. :)

Back