Heady Topper Hop Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you've tasted Heady Topper, which hops would you guess are included?

• Apollo

• Columbus

• Simcoe

• Amarillo

• Summit

• Chinook

• Cascade

• Centennial

• Nugget

• New Zealand Hop Blend

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobbrews

Reaction score
A poll is as good a test as any to determine the hops that may (or may not be) in Heady Topper. Only 10 options were allowed so I entered the most discussed hops in prior threads.

Please only vote if you have actually tasted this beer. Otherwise, posting in the comments is for everyone!

Why Horizon over Nugget? Isn't Horizon a bit more neutral + clean citrus?

I never felt like I've gotten any nugget out of heady - I've have more than a few fresh sticky nugs from sweetwater (all nugget red ale) and it's quite herbal/musty/mango'y. Also a lot of nugget nectar, which is a great beer and quite nugget forward, but I wouldn't say it's anything like heady.

My experience with horizon is that it is quite tropical mainly (lotta pineapple), with a little citrus and a little dank - a hop that definitely reminds me of HT.

These hops are siblings, and I really think from drinking all these beers that HT may have some horizon in it.

I would say that Nugget is herbaceous and peachy. The problem with these general descriptors is that a lot of them overlap.

Simcoe is musky, piney, resiny, and fruity (tropical).
Amarillo is peachy, floral, mild grapefruit.
Centennial is fruity, grapefruit, and piney.

You could also use the same hops in different IPAs and have a very different character from them, given that the grist, yeast, and overall amount of hops and schedule may be different.
Nugget Nectar and Heady possibly share only CTZ, and therefore, they might have a very weak flavor connection in that aspect.

Back