Hazy/Unclear Beer- can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I kegged a 5 gallon Pale Ale Thursday and started carbonating it Friday at noon. Tasted it last night and it was super muddy/hazy. I fudged up and didn’t cold crash in the secondary, before I transferred to my keg. It tastes great just doesn’t look the way I want it to. My question is... can I fix it? I have seen gelatin but wasn’t sure how that would work with the beer already carbonated? Are there any other things I can try?

Last edited:
1/4 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of water, heat in microwave for a minute. Stir to be sure it desolved. Open keg, pour in and then purge headspace again. Let it sit for a couple days. It’s better to fine it when it’s cold anyway.

1/4 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of water, heat in microwave for a minute. Stir to be sure it desolved. Open keg, pour in and then purge headspace again. Let it sit for a couple days. It’s better to fine it when it’s cold anyway.

Does it matter that the beer is already carbonated?

Does it matter that the beer is already carbonated?

No. Some people carb and clear with gelatin at the same time. It’s important the beer is cold (50f or so) when you pour in the gelatin. There are a bunch of vids on YouTube about it. Make sure you get unflavored. You’ll lose a pint or so, but if clear beer is that important, then worth it. I only clear my lagers.

I realize I’m late to the party but you should do absolutely nothing. You cold crashed it in the keg. Give it some time and it’ll clear. The only beers I cold crash are ones that receive heavy dry hop additions and that’s just to make transferring easier. I really don’t notice a difference between a cold crash in primary and just kegging and refridgerating.

I use 1/2 tsp gelatin for 1/2 cup of water per 5 gal batch. Microwave in 7 second bursts, stirring each time, until 145 to 150 degrees. Dump right in keg. In a day or two it’ll clear right up. Easy.

Leave it and enjoy it for what it is.

To be honest, a lot of the smaller places dont filter either. It all adds to the flavor profile imho. The few times Ive done it I had crystal clear beer, but I felt it suffered in flavor each time.

Some malts have higher beta glucan levels, some dont, it happens. You dont change your process, but the final product changes sometimes and haze happens.

Lift your pint high, cheers. Becasue fck it. Thats my take anyway

Back