Hazy Red IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushizell

Reaction score
Anyone made a hazy Red IPA or had one on draft somewhere? I've only read about 1 commercial example so far, and I couldn't find any info about the brewing process.

I had a batch 2 weeks ago that got contaminated and I never used the dry hop. I was considering using those hops in my new brew I did yesterday at 2 days post pitch and using the new dry hop 7 days post pitch. Does anyone have any experience with this hopping regimen with anything besides basic IPA malt builds?

I've read things saying that Caramel malts tend to mute the hoppy perception, and that makes me hesitant to attempt this hazy thing.

I use a bit of caramel in mine to give an orange juice kind of look. Haven't tried to go red though

Have not tried one but would! If you want to stay away from crystal malt just add 3 or 4 ounces of roasted barley to your grain bill for whatever hazy ipa recipe you come up with or find. The tiny amount of roast barley will give an excellent red color. Using Carared is another option.

I kind of did one for our brew club contest. I called it a SEIPA- South East IPA, lol. It was hazy but strong pine flavor. I was ok, but picked up a soapy flavor when I took it to club meet, maybe from the growler. It had Apolla and Azacca hops, Melanoiden malt. came in at 6.8% and 64 IBU

I did a Red IPA with 1318 and it ended up pretty hazy. What I learned from that is the haze causes it to look darker so mine was almost brownish (not very appetizing). If I do this again I'll definitely aim for the lower end of the red spectrum.

I kind of did one for our brew club contest. I called it a SEIPA- South East IPA, lol. It was hazy but strong pine flavor. I was ok, but picked up a soapy flavor when I took it to club meet, maybe from the growler. It had Apolla and Azacca hops, Melanoiden malt. came in at 6.8% and 64 IBU
I think my brew is gonna turn out pretty similar, 6.4% and 69 IBUs. How did you do at the competition, even with the soapy flavor?

I did a Red IPA with 1318 and it ended up pretty hazy. What I learned from that is the haze causes it to look darker so mine was almost brownish (not very appetizing). If I do this again I'll definitely aim for the lower end of the red spectrum.
My brew is set to end up 12-13ish SRM, mostly because I had to swap in Pilsner malt instead of Pale 2 row. Do you recall what yours was? Also, did you dry hop during fermentation or was it solely the yeast that left the haze?

My brew is set to end up 12-13ish SRM, mostly because I had to swap in Pilsner malt instead of Pale 2 row. Do you recall what yours was? Also, did you dry hop during fermentation or was it solely the yeast that left the haze?
Looks like my SRM was 16.5 (calculated by Brewer's Friend). I would think 12-13 would be a good place to start.

I did dry hop but I think it was all after fermentation.

Looks like my SRM was 16.5 (calculated by Brewer's Friend). I would think 12-13 would be a good place to start.

I did dry hop but I think it was all after fermentation.
Turns out my brew partner wants to wait on the hazy brew for another day (we're prepping for a comp in 6 weeks) so I'll be holding off on the dry hopping during fermentation as well this time. It's a shame too cause it was at a great Krausen when I left for work today. It's a good thing I got bite with the homebrew bug and don't see stopping anytime soon lol!
20180426_092012.jpeg

I made one a few months ago. I took the recipe for Great Lakes' beer "Nosferatu" and used 1318 yeast as well as did the first dry hop addition on day 3 of fermentation (like I would a NEIPA). The result was pretty hazy just like a NEIPA. It wasn't that appealing to look at, but it was delicious. Was sad to see it kick a few days ago. I'll make it again for sure.

Latest posts

Back