Have I undercarbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdillow

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, two weeks ago. I stored at about 55-60 degrees for a week before moving to frig. I tried one last night, and there's little to no carbonation. I used about 4 oz of corn sugar for about 48 bottles, boiled it for a few minutes before racking on it. I think the beer tastes OK, you can really taste the hops even though it wasn't dry-hopped, but there is no head, no tiny bubbles, no crispness. I'm sure it's still green, but should I be expecting more carbonation by now? Should I open up half of them and put a teaspoon of sugar in and try again?

I think it will be fine it just takes more time. Give it three weeks. That seems to work for me. One week is not enough at your temps.

Don't add anything or mess with it. Just be patient. It will be worth it.

You haven't let it carb long enough, and the carb time you did have was too cold. Let it sit out at room temp for another two weeks, THEN chill and try again.

55-60 is too cold to store beer for carbing, 65-70 is ideal from my experience. At lower temps like that carbing will take an excessively long time. I wouldn't open them up, I would take them out of the fridge roll them gently to get the yeast stirred up from the bottom of the bottle and store them warmer for two weeks and then see where you're at for carbonation. I've had this problem before, now I don't even try putting one in the fridge for at least 2 weeks, then if it's not ready I'll try another each week until it's carbed properly then fridge them. Hope this helps and good luck

You'll want to get confirmation of what I'm telling you from someone more experienced, but I think your bottle conditioning temperature is a little on the cold side. I'm guessing that it will still carbonate at this temperature, but will take much longer. 68 to 72 F would be better. Good luck!

all in good time.....

I brewed a beer...used munton's tabs....opened one after 3 weeks (at closer to 70)...almost no carbonation, thought i'd royally screwed it up...a good month later, its nice and bubbly.

Seems like if you add sugar, all you need is time from there.... some amount of time and temperature will get you bubbly beer.

Wow, quick response. Thanks all. Due to bottle another batch in a week, now I know.

Back