Have CO2 prices risen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a shortage and prices were higher last year. I paid over $50 for 20 pounds back in the spring (normally it's $25-30 at my supplier). That being said, what I heard was that supposedly the shortage was supposed to more or less resolve itself by December.

The link you posted is for New Zealand. If their only plant is shut down, then it makes sense ther would be a shortage there. I wouldn't expect that to impact the USA.

I'm in NZ but luckily have plenty of CO2 which I only need for serving. Brewing industry and others are very concerned about the impending shortage and price hike. Maybe a resurgence in cask ale and hand pull beers will occur. I hope so.

not really much more?

cost of co2.jpg

those are the prices i've been paying for 20lb swap....

edit: and the $21 one was a really ungly steel tank, so gave me a discount, and double charged me....

Last edited:
Some breweries in New England are having issues getting CO2. Prices have risen across the board, but CO2 for homebrewers seems to be relatively the same by me. Fills are cheaper than swaps at the moment. I can fill a 5# for $15. My 15# was $20. I think that's pretty cheap.

This a a NZ problem.

They closed our only oil refinery which made the bulk of our food grade CO2 as a byproduct.
The one remaining plant making it has shut down temporarily for repairs.

My local supplier still has gas so I'm not panicking just yet.

@bracconiere
I'm not worried at all.
Not sure how many grammes or oz of CO2 to pour a pint.
But I can always use pressure in a "fermenting keg" to keep the beer running.
Although I'd be keen to know how many pints my 13kg of gas will pour.

@DuncB

i keep my tank on a scale, as you probably know...i pour 10-11 12oz/weight drinks on 0.2oz co2......
I couldn't remember who it was, but do remember it during a thread on CO2 loss.
Thanks for the info.
So my 5.6 kg tank will pour about 3500 litres or 7400 US pints.

I'm going to be fine for years and years!

Based on my experience in New Jersey after talking to brewery owners and a local gas supplier, there is no Co2 shortage, and the cost to refill a 5-pound tank is still the same.

The shortage is real and it's still in play. Praxair hasn't had enough to supply both their industrial welding customers and walk ins so I got all their homebrewer business because my supplier has a large tank. Even they told me that prior to COVID their 8,000 LB tank would always be topped off when it got about 75% full and now they're struggling to keep it half full any given week. My costs have only gone up about 10%.

The shortage is real and it's still in play. Praxair hasn't had enough to supply both their industrial welding customers and walk ins so I got all their homebrewer business because my supplier has a large tank. Even they told me that prior to COVID their 8,000 LB tank would always be topped off when it got about 75% full and now they're struggling to keep it half full any given week. My costs have only gone up about 10%.
I guess it's more of a regional issue; as of last month, Praxair in Monmouth County, where I get my Co2, hasn't had a problem.

Back