Harvesting Wyeast 2112 California Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chwayock

Reaction score
So I harvested the yeast/trub from an Anchor steam clone that I brewed a couple months ago (fermented at 66). There seems to be no separation between the yeast and trub in my mason jars. I used the exact technique I have with an IPA that used dry S-05 and a Hefeweizen where I used a WLP351.

Essentially, i sterilize some mason jars by boiling and keeping a bit of filtered boiled water in there. Once it was cooled, after I racked from primary, I poured in some of the water and mixed up all of the trub and yeast. I then poured them back into about 3 quart sized mason jars. The S-05 separated nicely and i've used it with a starter to ferment another IPA and a sierra neveda clone with excellent success. The WLLP351 separated also and i've used that again for a triple berry hefe that is currently in secondary. Again, I used a starter with excellent success. My gravity reading after transferring from primary onto the berries was 1.010 so I'm happy with that.

I have not tried the 2112 yet but am concerned that I do not see any yeast layer. It all looks like trub (in all three mason jars). Does anyone have any experience with harvesting 2112? I guess I will just try to make a starter when the times comes and see if I have descent activity.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions

So I harvested the yeast/trub from an Anchor steam clone that I brewed a couple months ago (fermented at 66). There seems to be no separation between the yeast and trub in my mason jars. I used the exact technique I have with an IPA that used dry S-05 and a Hefeweizen where I used a WLP351.

Essentially, i sterilize some mason jars by boiling and keeping a bit of filtered boiled water in there. Once it was cooled, after I racked from primary, I poured in some of the water and mixed up all of the trub and yeast. I then poured them back into about 3 quart sized mason jars. The S-05 separated nicely and i've used it with a starter to ferment another IPA and a sierra neveda clone with excellent success. The WLLP351 separated also and i've used that again for a triple berry hefe that is currently in secondary. Again, I used a starter with excellent success. My gravity reading after transferring from primary onto the berries was 1.010 so I'm happy with that.

I have not tried the 2112 yet but am concerned that I do not see any yeast layer. It all looks like trub (in all three mason jars). Does anyone have any experience with harvesting 2112? I guess I will just try to make a starter when the times comes and see if I have descent activity.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions

I ran into the same thing with 2112 from a 1554 clone. It didn't seem to separate at all. I haven't used it yet, but I think there is a LOT of yeast in the jars, but it could be a lot of trub. It didn't pack down like I'm used to seeing with washed ale yeast. Each jar is more than 1/2 yeast or trub or whatever after sitting for a month and a half.
I think i will do a starter with one of the jars soon and see if it's any good.

gingerdawg said:
I ran into the same thing with 2112 from a 1554 clone. It didn't seem to separate at all. I haven't used it yet, but I think there is a LOT of yeast in the jars, but it could be a lot of trub. It didn't pack down like I'm used to seeing with washed ale yeast. Each jar is more than 1/2 yeast or trub or whatever after sitting for a month and a half.
I think i will do a starter with one of the jars soon and see if it's any good.

Did you make your starter yet?

Not to bring up a dead thread but I found it when I had the same question so thought I'd add my experience.

I also harvested yeast from 2112 Cal Lager and didn't see any separation of trub and yeast. I made a starter and used it anyway. There was no yeast on bottom of starter after 18 hours but I saw some bubbling. I pitched it and am seeing solid fermentation after 24 hours. I'll try to remember to post again after I taste the beer.

Back