Harsh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
Let me start with, I usually love evreything from Dogfish head brewery. I love their 60 min ipa, 90 min ipa, and Red and White. Though today I tried the "Fort" ale that is brewed and fermented with raspberry puree'. I was not impressed. As a matter o' fact I would give it a 3 on a 10 scale. Brutal!

Sour, but not in a lambic way. Hard to even get down after the 2nd sip. I would not recommend this to even the strongest of beer palletes. Dink zt your own risk. I will say that in its defense it was not ice cold. It was at room temp. I wanted to taste the full efect of the raspberry and the malty ale it said it had. If I'm missing something please give me some pointers, thought, I will never buy this without a good reason.

Every beer I have tried with "berry" fruit additions turned me off. In fact some of the worst beers I have tried had "berry" additions.

Apricot and peach is probably the only two fruits that I found pleasant in beer. And those were in a hefe.

The only HB I have available right now is "Blue Lightning", a blueberry puree addition to the fermenter.

I don't like it much at all. But my girlfriend bought me a MrBeer for xmas, and got me into this whole HB thing, so I had one can left and figured I owed her one, since she doesn't really like beer, but digs that Fruli that chumprock just mentioned. She hasn't been asking me to bring up any of my blueberry beer from the basement for her, so there you have it. I guess it won't be bad when after I'm cutting the grass on a 90+ degree day and just want something and won't be in any condition to savor the taste of good beer.

But I told her I ain't making any fruit beers in my new 5-gal set up.

I will never buy this without a good reason.

Here's a good reason: the bottle is AWESOME - a brown champagne bottle that takes standard 26mm caps! I like the label, too. The beer is so-so, but you gotta hand it to Sam and company for making an 18% fruit beer....:drunk:

There's a really good Peach-Wheat ale out at High Desert Brewing Co. in Las Cruces, NM. I have no idea if they ship it but it's light, drinkable and the peach doesn't overpower the beer.

Back