Hard Water Good or Bad????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjkopp

Reaction score
Well I have a old well thats only 30ft deep and the water that comes out is Very Hard water and we don't have a water softener. It does Not smell like eggs or anything and it taste great to me and other people that drink it. It does leave hard water marks on all of our dishes. My question is should I add something to the water to soften it? Just use it how it is or go to the store and get water? If I go out and buy water what kind should I get? Thanks for you info
kopp hop!:D

hard water if full of minerals. some of these minerals could be very good for your beer while, at the same tiem they could kill your beer. your safest bet is to some how filter it or by water. you wont know if you water is good unless you get a water profile preformed.

Hard water is not necessarily a problem for most beer styles. Recognize that many brewers add minerals that increase water hardness (ie gypsum, epsom, CaCl). Its alkalinity that is the primary concern to brewers. Excessive alkalinity can be associated with some hard waters and this can cause difficulty in achieving proper mash pH when brewing light colored beers.

If the water has high temporary hardness, lime softening could be a suitable treatment solution. If the water includes significant permanent hardness, then RO treatment may be the best option. In any case, salt based water softeners are never suitable brewing water producers.

Back