Hard Maple sap cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbostarr

Reaction score
5 gals of Sugar Maple sap
4 LBs table sugar
1 packet Lalvin D-47 yeast
1 Tyeast nutrient
1 T yeast booster
SuperClear
3 C maple syrup
2 T malic acid

I tapped a sugar maple back in March and got 10 gallons of fresh sap. I put 5 in the freezer in case I wanted a second attempt (last year I wrecked it by not being sterile enough). Once in the cleaned 5 gal. carboy I added a local yeast I harvested from a winter brew I made (Windy Brow Farms In Newton, NJ- they don't pasteurize their cider). I think my usual store bought yeast, D-47, would also work fine. I added 4 pounds of sugar (heated w some sap to dissolve first) to raise the ABV from 3%. I added some yeast energizer and booster then waited 3 months. When totally dry I racked it two times, added some sodium metabisulfite and some Superclear. Waited another week and racked again when nearly clear. After tasting it in a 1 cup measure, I gradually added real maple syrup and malic acid to make it taste just right, then I did the math for 5 gallons; 3 cups maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of malic acid. Then I bottled and put 2.5 gallons into my keg to force carb. One of my best ciders in 5 years of brewing! oh, and I am considering adding a little caramel color as it's quite pale looking still.

Attachments

• cider.JPG
    cider.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
just a follow-up after my roll out of my Brew to my family who likes to drink mostly beer and wine. My wine and beer snob sister tried this and exclaimed that it was the most professional tasting cider I have ever made. She didn't drink wine the rest of the night that she even brought herself. Now that's a compliment. so with that kind of review, I am brewing my next 5 gallons of the sap I put in the freezer in March. I added 5 lb of sugar this time so it looks like alcohol should be around 7 ABV on the hydrometer.

Back