Hard Cider Carbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
I got my Campden Tabs and Sorbate today which I am gonna to put in so I can back sweeten. As far as bottle carbing with me adding the frozen concentrate to my 5 gallon batch how much priming sugar would I need to carb. Also once its carbed do I need to stove pasteurize it. *sorry first cider*

Campden Tabs and Sorbate would stabilize it so you wont be able to bottle carb. If you want to back sweeten then you will ether need to use an unfermentable sugar and priming sugar or back sweeten with frozen concentrate and pasteurize.

Another thing to is since I had it in my secondary there i noticed that there is sediment on the bottom again which perhaps I moved to secondary to soon. Should I move this into a new Carboy before I cold crash? its about an inch of sediment

Has your cider cleared? If so I wouldn't worrie about cold crashing. I wouldn't transfer again unless you plane on bulk aging for extend periods. Others might say not to transfers again ether way.

Another thing to is since I had it in my secondary there i noticed that there is sediment on the bottom again which perhaps I moved to secondary to soon. Should I move this into a new Carboy before I cold crash? its about an inch of sediment

Yes, I would. That's a lot of sediment!

As was mentioned, if you use sorbate to inhibit re-fermentation, the cider won't carb up. If you want a still, sweet cider, the sorbate will be great. But if you want a sweet sparkling cider, either non-fermentable sweeteners should be used along with some priming sugar, or pasteurization (as described in the "sticky thread") should be done when the cider is carbed up.

Yes, I would. That's a lot of sediment!

As was mentioned, if you use sorbate to inhibit re-fermentation, the cider won't carb up. If you want a still, sweet cider, the sorbate will be great. But if you want a sweet sparkling cider, either non-fermentable sweeteners should be used along with some priming sugar, or pasteurization (as described in the "sticky thread") should be done when the cider is carbed up.

I was actually just reading the sticky, so to make sure I am rite I can cold crash down to 40 then after a week or so add apple juice concentrate, bottle let it build up then Pasteurize. Or would i still need to add priming sugar with the ajc as well.

I'm a biochem masters student new to brewing. Just finished my first attempt at a cider using some fresh unpasteurized cider I had pressed and it turned out terribly dry and nearly undrinkable. My question is if I can cold crash after primary (possibly in my northern Indiana garage?) for a day or so to keep some sugars and then prime to bottle carb and after a week or so of bottle carbing throw them in the fridge (or garage that's currently cold as eff) to kill off the yeast? Is this a recipe for a carbed cider with some sweetness left or a recipe for bottle bombs?

I perfer to let it ferment dry then back sweeten with apple juice concentrate. You don't want the cider to freeze so I don't know about the garage. you can keep them in the fridge but I prefer to pasteurize so I can give them out to friends. The cold wont kill the yest just make them go dorment If they ever warm back up they will go back to eating sugars which can cause bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back