Hanger 24 Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this? I am a total double IPA fan, and this may be the best I've ever had. I'm new to home brewing, but id like to figure out a recipe for this one. The hops are centennial, citra, Columbus and simcoe. Which hops give it the grapefruit, citrusy, piney notes? Oh, man was the a perfect brew. Would an extract version be possible? I've done two all grains, and they did not really go well. I know a higher abv beer is even more challenging, so I thought extract would be better for me right now. It's a 9% abv

image-308093569.jpg

Never had it. But I doubt you'd even get close with a 60 minute extract version of a West Coast IIPA at 9% abv.

It appears they use 5 different malts along with a hefty addition of Orange Blossom Honey - http://hangar24brewery.com/co_dipa.htm

You could try something like this for a simple, although not identical, extract base: Muntons Extra Light DME, Briess Golden Light DME, 7-12% Wheat DME, 3% Crystal 40, 3% Honey Malt, and 15% Orange Blossom Honey.

Simcoe, Centennial, and Columbus are the hops featured in Pliny the Elder. The addition of Citra would provide a fruity tropicalness... not so much citrus, pine, or a dankness. So if this is more citrus/pine forward, I would say they are light-handed with the Citra.

I agree, this is a very good beer, and one that you don't hear much about for some reason. Its up there with any of the best IIPA's. A friend of mine brought me back one bottle last summer, and I was blown away.

I've never brewed extract, so I can't really help there. It might be tough to get it to dry out enough with extract. If you decide to give it a shot as all grain, I could probably take a stab at the recipe.

I've met the head brewer at Hanger 24 multiple times and even done a tasting with him on about 5 of their beers also. He is a very nice guy and I bet will give you ballpark help over email...

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I emailed them this morning after I posted and inquired about the recipe. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything back. If I do get a recipe, I've decided I'd go all grain.... Seems like the right way to go. I got myself a Pliney the Elder extract clone today, so that'll be my next practice before a other all grain. Thanks fellas

Arborman,

Just a quick head's up - Double IPA recipes are some of the most expensive in the hobby. If you've had some rough luck with all-grain in the past maybe try doing a couple other all-grain batches of smaller / cheaper beers. I remember my first all-grain batch I did was a ten gallon batch of IPA. $60 later I had a stuck mash and a foul mouth. Not suggesting that you'd mess it up, but just warning from experience!

Cheers!

Jipper said:
Arborman,

Just a quick head's up - Double IPA recipes are some of the most expensive in the hobby. If you've had some rough luck with all-grain in the past maybe try doing a couple other all-grain batches of smaller / cheaper beers. I remember my first all-grain batch I did was a ten gallon batch of IPA. $60 later I had a stuck mash and a foul mouth. Not suggesting that you'd mess it up, but just warning from experience!

Cheers!

Thanks Jipper, good solid advice. I'm pretty sure I'd screw it up, but if I was able to make it half as good as the real deal I'd be really excited! If my Pliney extract bombs, I'll re evaluate and go for something much smaller. I wish my palate was not geared towards the bigger beers!

Ok, so the head brewer at Hanger 24 was nice enough to reply back to my email with some information about the beer. Being that I am new to brewing, I do not fully understand this or how to build up the recipe. Here's the email, do any of you have an idea of the recipe build for a 5 gallon batch?

"The beer comes in at 9.0% ABV and is pretty dry (finishes under 1.020) so plan your starting gravity accordingly. For the malt, a good domestic 2-row will make up the majority with small percentages of wheat malt, carapils and light caramel malt. Definitely err on the light side for color. We also add some local honey. If you can get orange blossom, that will work well.

For hopping, use a nice, clean-bitterness high alpha hop for your initial bittering charge. Target around 100 IBUs. An addition of Centennial late in the boil and then whirlpool with a blend of Citra and Simcoe.

Ferment with a clean ale yeast. Once finished fermenting, dry hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe at a rate of about 0.5 oz per gallon.

Good luck with your brew. Let us know if you have any other questions or feedback!"

I just love this beer! Def one of my new faves

My roommates BIL is a brewer at Hanger 24. He constantly brings stuff back when he goes down there. They make some great brews, especially that Double IPA.

arborman said:
Ok, so the head brewer at Hanger 24 was nice enough to reply back to my email with some information about the beer. Being that I am new to brewing, I do not fully understand this or how to build up the recipe. Here's the email, do any of you have an idea of the recipe build for a 5 gallon batch?

"The beer comes in at 9.0% ABV and is pretty dry (finishes under 1.020) so plan your starting gravity accordingly. For the malt, a good domestic 2-row will make up the majority with small percentages of wheat malt, carapils and light caramel malt. Definitely err on the light side for color. We also add some local honey. If you can get orange blossom, that will work well.

For hopping, use a nice, clean-bitterness high alpha hop for your initial bittering charge. Target around 100 IBUs. An addition of Centennial late in the boil and then whirlpool with a blend of Citra and Simcoe.

Ferment with a clean ale yeast. Once finished fermenting, dry hop with a blend of Citra and Simcoe at a rate of about 0.5 oz per gallon.

Good luck with your brew. Let us know if you have any other questions or feedback!"

I just love this beer! Def one of my new faves

Common guys, someone's got to have an idea of how to put this together! This is an epic brew! :)

ok, I quickly threw a recipe together in beersmith. Here's what I came up with. Should be a good starting point.

84% 2-row
5% white wheat
3% Carapils
3% C15
5% Honey

1.078 OG - 1.010 FG

1.5 oz Columbus @60
2 oz centennial @10
2 oz citra @ 0
2 oz simcoe @ 0

Cal Ale yeast

3 oz each of citra and simcoe dry hop for ~1 week

If you want to go with extract the following will get you in the ballpark. Its going to be hard to get this beer dry enough with extract though.

8 1\2 lbs extra light dme
1lb wheat dme
4oz C20 steeped
.5lb honey or sugar

3oz Columbus hops at 60
2oz Centennial at 10
2oz each Citra and Simcoe at flame out for 30 minute hop stand
Dryhop with 1oz each Centennial Citra and Simcoe

2 packets of US-05

Back