Half batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo_brewer

Reaction score
Looking to start brewing my first batch, have all necessary equipment.

Weather doesn't look too good for me to brew outside with my propane burner......as it is I am planning on just using at most 3 gallons in a 5gallon pot to brew. Once I get it cooled down close to 100*F, I was going to add additional COLD water to bring it down to pitching temp.

Question is- can I just simply do that on my natural gas stove top? Brew my 3 gallon wort on the kitchen stove and then adding the cold water to total volume of 5 gallons as called by receipt. Stove is capable of bring a big pot of soup to rolling boil when i've boiled pasta and soups in the past.

I will be brewing Irish Red Ale.

-Sean

I don't see why not. I think all extract recipes call for it to be done that way. The 3 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle might be pushing it, for example I do up to 7 gallons in a 10 gallon kettle and the 7 gallons gets pretty close to a boil over if I'm not careful. Other than that you should be good. You may want to add the cooled 3 gallons to your fermenter then add the additional 2 gallons. If you're using a glass carboy, just make sure the 3 gallons is cooled or it will shatter the glass.

So I should start with no more then 3 gallons then? Assuming that I could loose up to 1/2 gallon due to evaporation.....just so long as I fill it back close to 5 gallons or when FG reads close to what receipt calls for?

This is the limit more so because of boil over?

That's right. The boil over would be my concern. When I started brewing I used an extract recipe and did it that way (3 gallon boil and add cool water later to bring it up to 5 gallons). Then the next time I brewed I used a similar recipe and boiled all 5 gallons at once (I had a 10 gallon kettle at the time). Both ways worked well.

Back