Had a leak, will the beer be okay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brewing3

Reaction score
Went to pour myself a beer after work today and nothing happened. Found that the problem was I was out of CO2. Think I had a leak somewhere beause it was fine yesterday. Anyway, I can get a new tank and should be able to find the leak. My question is concerning my beer. I had two kegs hooked up and they had lost the CO2 as well. It was too late to get another tank, so they will have to sit until tomorrow. Will this cause my beer to go flat? If it does, can I re-carbonate?

You should be fine. The beer will take more when you hook up another bottle. Any clue on where the leak is? I would hit the kegs with gas as soon as the new bottle is hooked up, disconnect them and hunt for the leak.

You should be fine. The beer will take more when you hook up another bottle. Any clue on where the leak is? I would hit the kegs with gas as soon as the new bottle is hooked up, disconnect them and hunt for the leak.

Don't really know where the leak might be? But that was my plan. I wanted to get gas on top of the kegs as soon as possible.
I figure I will get some soapy water in a spray bottle and go step by step from the regulator all the way through. I'll find that I a sure, mostly worried about the beer.

Are you sure its a leak and not just an empty tank? Is there any pressure in the kegs?

Are you sure its a leak and not just an empty tank? Is there any pressure in the kegs?

no pressure in the kegs. And I think it was a leak because there was plenty in the tank yesterday. the guage showed it was about half full +/- and today when I got home it was totally empty. I suppose the guage could just be reading wrong and it may have been real low. But I would think that there has to be a leak to go from some gas to none without pouring a beer? Right?

Sometimes those high pressure gauges dont read properly until youre empty. Its a PITA but its much more accurate to go by weight of the tank to figure out how much gas is left. Can you get CO2 tomorrow? I really think the beer will be fine for the night and it will carb again just fine.

Back