Guilt free enviromentally friendly beer chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
As people were talking about no-chill brewing and me being the tree hugger that I am, I though about a better way to use resources during brewing. I came up with a way to use my chiller water.

Currently I brew stove top and chill with an immersion chiller back into the sink. The washing machine is in our kitchen. So I piped the outflow of the IC into the washing machine. Our tap water is extremely cold nowadays and it cooled the wort down very quickly but it still provided a half load of water for laundry.

I also made a few alterations to my IC here as well. Before I had cheap plastic hose going into the Kettle under the lid. The hose got very soft in the hot environment.

In this photo, I had brought up the IC to exit under the lid. I still need to fine tune the bend for a tighter seal. Clamped a short section of silicone tube onto the copper. Then used a hose connector to attach cheap plastic hose to the hose barbs for whatever lengths I need after the boil.

Immersion_chilling-1.jpg

Immersion_chilling-2.jpg

I use an aquarium pump to recirculate the water in a bucket with a few blocks of ice in it. The first two buckets get dumped into my washer (too hot for ice), the third gets the ice and then I use that water for my temp-control set-up when I am done chilling.

From boiling to 70f = less than 20 minutes.

Awesome idea! I saved my hot water, but for my last batch all I did was use the water for a warm foot bath... haha.
You could also use this idea to preheat water for a second brew.
Use it for sanitization or washing dishes.

I use an aquarium pump to recirculate the water in a bucket with a few blocks of ice in it. The first two buckets get dumped into my washer (too hot for ice), the third gets the ice and then I use that water for my temp-control set-up when I am done chilling.

From boiling to 70f = less than 20 minutes.

My first five gallons of hot water go into a bucket that I carry to the laundry tub for equipment cleaning and recirculate over the ice after that.

My first five gallons of hot water go into a bucket that I carry to the laundry tub for equipment cleaning and recirculate over the ice after that.

Gents, I am thinking of doing this same thing. How many Gallons per minute are the pumps that you use? I have seen a couple of them at Lowes and need to know how big to go.

Thanks, B.

Wait a minute, you are a self proclaimed tree hugger and in the picture I see no less than 3 large appliances. :p:D

I know, and I see both a dryer and a dishwasher!
It's ok, though... I think going any more treehugger than recycling chiller water is actually illegal in Utah. :D

That's a great idea. I like to use the hot exhaust water for cleaning up brewing equipment when I'm done...

Wait a minute, you are a self proclaimed tree hugger and in the picture I see no less than 3 large appliances. :p:D

What you see is brewing equipment. The dishwasher is only used for bottle sanitizing and the washer dryer are used as my brew stand. The water I drained into the washer is going to be pumped to the creek where I do my laundry by hand.

In reality I have carbon footprint the size of Utah, but am at least conscious of it, and do what I can. It just doesn't make sense to use 30 gallons of water to brew 5 or pour hot water down the drain, especially when my tap water is in the 40s.

How do you know how much water to put in the washing machine? What setting do you run the washing machine on?

Latest posts

Back