GrumpySquirrel's Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpySquirrel

Reaction score
So, a huge thanks to everyone here for the tips and inspiration to actually go through with this. It's by no means amazing, especially compared to what most of you have made, but I'm pretty proud of what I built.

Total cost came out to a little over $1,000, here's a breakdown of everything (I purchased everything new):
  • GE 7.0 Freezer - $180
  • 4 Tap SS Perlick Kit (Keg Connection) - $403
  • Johnson Control Digital Temp Controller - $81
  • Keg Cleaner - $5
  • Four 5g Used Corny Kegs - $200
  • Wood - $130
  • Nails/Glue - $10
  • Wheels - $30
  • Insulation - $18
  • Fans - $40
  • Stain/Poly - $10 (friend gave me leftover stain, just needed new poly)

So, I started with the frame first. It was more snug than I had planned...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Then I built the top and the coffin. The stain is mahogony by Minwax.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Then I glued a piece of wood to the inside of the freezer to put my 4 tap CO2 distributor thingy (forgot what it's called), but realized I couldn't fit all my kegs if I did, so I had to rip it out. Everything else fits, but that 4th keg is TIGHT.

6.jpg

All the tubes and stuff wasn't too bad, but cutting through the top of the freezer was a pain. Ended up using my Dremel for the square fan holes and a 2.5" circle saw-like bit for the cables. I have two fans blowing in opposite directions to keep the air circulating in the coffin. I've had zero problems with foaming. Yay!

7.jpg

We just moved into a new house in August, and the SWMBO said if I wanted it in the house, it had to look pretty. She was very happy with the way it turned out. So much that we turned this little area into a pub, complete with two high tops with pub stools.

8.jpg

So again, thanks so much to the whole community. There is so much information available on HBT that anyone can make one of these. Hell, if I did, really anybody can.

Cheers! :mug:

Very nice!

This build looks awesome!

Question for you, do you get any foaming from the beer lines being above the keezer lid being at a different temperature?

Wondering what happens to that beer that is left un-refrigerated and out of the chest.

That is what the fans are for

"I feel wonderful drinking beer in a blissful mood with joy in my heart and a happy liver"_sumerian inscription 3000 BCE

This build looks awesome!

Question for you, do you get any foaming from the beer lines being above the keezer lid being at a different temperature?

Wondering what happens to that beer that is left un-refrigerated and out of the chest.

brandonhagen1 is correct. I have had zero foaming issues because I have one fan bringing cool air in, and another fan to help circulate back into the freezer. The foam insulation helps from loss, but it is the circulation that keeps it nice and cool in the coffin.

Back