Groupon deal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I previously bought this, but have not yet gone through the course. Here is the outline, in case you haven't seen it:

Day 1.
Introduction to extract brewing: Blonde Ale w/ dry yeast
1. Sanitation
2. equipment
3. ingredients
4. brewing demonstration, explanation of the entire process (extract, malt, hops, water, chemistry, styles, etc.)
Discussion of the overlying process of wort production, malt extract, hops and the varieties, water, SRM, IBU, BJCP guidelines. The overall history of beer and impact on the world.

Day 2.
Partial mash Brewing: IPA w/ liquid yeast
1. grain conversion
2. yeast types
3. hop varieties
History of IPA’s, hops used traditionally and currently to date. Discussion on malt, malting and kilning process and varieties.

Partial mash brewing cont.
1. grain conversion
2. yeast propagation
3. hop utilization

Day 3.
All-grain brewing: Imperial Stout w/ combo liquid and dry yeast
1. equipment set-up
2. mashing/sparge/vorlauft
3. history
4. recipe formulation
5. basic water chemistry
6. packaging options, ageing, barrels, corni kegs, etc.
Lagering options, temprature control.

Day 4.
Advanced equipment, legality know how, packaging, demo of bottling and kegging.

Yeah, I went to the website. I was just hoping someone here had gone through the course and could tell me something more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

$29 for a $595 class. RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Take this free online Chemistry of Beer course. You'll learn more for FREE! I've taken it, and some of the segments are way over my head, but the vast majority of it is really interesting and has helped me as a brewer.

https://janux.ou.edu/course.chem4970.html

Groupon deals have gone way downhill in the last few years. I figured this would be pretty basic.

I will take a look at that course, thanks. Also, don't worry about parts of brewing being over your head. Remember: your ancestors were brewing 5000 years ago with a "magic stick" (covered in yeast) and prayers to the Wort God. It is, and always will be, a fairly simple trick to brew. ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh, it's not the brewing parts of the course that go over my head, I'm good there. That course gets REALLY deep into the chemistry of brewing, which was never my strong point in school! :p

I bought it. It's 10 hours of instruction that you can access for a year and I thought it would be enjoyable. I could've just bought a book but it's nice to change up the medium once in a while. $29 isn't too bad. I don't know who they think is paying $595... Thanks for the chemistry of beer link!!! Will definitely check that out!

My Wife got me this for our anniversary. I'm thrilled that she gave me something brewing related at all.

I figure I'll learn something.

I've paid over $600 for a weekend seminar before in my other hobby and if I found two tips I could use right away and another couple that might come in handy sometime I figured I got my moneys worth.

Back