Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JonGrafto, can you split your star-san, if you can I'll jump in on your order. Google group buy will let me split my grain, but not the star-san?

Bill,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the full list of available items still hasn't been fully updated, that possibly why folks can't find PBW and other items?

This is my first group buy I was just wondering how much is shipping and when do we pay?

we are at 81 sacks already. remember that 42 sacks is the maximum per palllet. I think we should keep the buy open for at least a week possibly two weeks. What's the consensus?

Please at least until all the Briess line has been added..

I'm going to drop the Fawcett brown and grab a Victory, and I would like to try Briess comparable of Special B, and possible split a Briess cherrywood smoked.

Adriedel,

Once we have all the items ready for ordering, we figure out the shipping and split it amongst the participants. I saw a post where Bill thought it might come out to $2 per item. That could go up or down, I believe, depending on how much we actually end up ordering as a group.

We will leave the buy open until we come to a general consensus on when it should close. I am hoping to start working on updating a spreadsheet price list for Ghoti to upload to the database later on today. We still have plenty of time.

I put up a 55lb bag of Pearl to split 2 ways, if nobody wants this I will take the other half.

Also splitting 55lbs of Canadian Malting Munich 2 ways and 50lbs of C60 5 ways. If it can't be covered by others I will absorb it.

For anyone participating for their first time, these group buys are always run smoothly by Bill and the crew of helpers. Everyone will get what they want and you will meet fellow homebrewers in the process. I can't compare how group buys happen elsewhere, but I have done several through Bill and am always happy in the end. Also, as Bill sometimes suggests, if you are on the fence about getting another sack, add it on, the group buys happen often enough, but you don't want to be kicking yourself for not adding on that extra sack of 2-Row when you are down to your last couple of pounds and want to brew that IIPA. :drunk:

I get plenty of help from others such as Ghoti, Neopol, Starman, Wagz just to name a few. They help make these buys easy for all of us.

And yes, as GH suggested, no matter what quantity of sacks you think you will need add one or two more. Listen to me now and believe me later. Cheers!

Here's what's happening regarding updating the pricing on the database. We are supposed to be getting an updated excel sheet (updated again last week) from Country Malt. Ghoti will then import the pricing into the database. In the mean time, eneter you order and it will eventually reflect the correct price once Ghoti is done.

I was able to add the Star San but unable to create a split.

I tried doing the same thing and it didn't work to split the star san.

Last group buy I stocked up so I don't really need any right now, which really means I need a sack or two just to be safe.

I would be interested. I think that makes 3 of 4 with kmarley included. Let's see how this plays out.

Did this Star san group ever get completed? Also, still having troubles getting PBW. Any suggestions on how to get 5s-pbw8lb to process properly?

Sorry if this has been asked. Are the Briess items coming up in the database the only ones available to us? Saw red wheat in the catalog, but not in the database.

First time looking at the new database today and it is slick. Nice work ghoti!

Did this Star san group ever get completed? Also, still having troubles getting PBW. Any suggestions on how to get 5s-pbw8lb to process properly?

I'm still waiting for the Star San. Was able to add it but not split it.

I also can't find Victory, Briess Rye Malt or Briess Smoked Malt. I am hoping to participate in splits of those as well.

I would like to split some rye as well...jmg727 would you be open to the Canadian rye instead? I guess I don't have too much of a preference, but would like to get a split going to see if I can get enough interest. Probably split it 4-5 ways since nobody needs that much rye...

I would like to split some rye as well...jmg727 would you be open to the Canadian rye instead? I guess I don't have too much of a preference, but would like to get a split going to see if I can get enough interest. Probably split it 4-5 ways since nobody needs that much rye...

Sure, I'm open to Canadian. Have you used it before or just like the price?

Sure, I'm open to Canadian. Have you used it before or just like the price?

Honestly I don't know if I have used it. The only time I have used rye in the past was in a kit from NB. The price is just significantly lower.

113 sacks so far!

Ghoti will be updating the pricing now that he has the latest spreadsheet with pricing. I have also asked him to look into the starsan split issues and the 8 lb PBW.

I also confirmed 2 more people this morning to participate in the buy. Be back later.

I have 4-5 more sacks to add once all the Briess stuff is added.

Any idea if we can we order the Jack Daniels drop ship barrel...$95 for a 53 gallon is a deal. I'd pick up directly at the warehouse.

Neopol, I considered one of these, but wouldn't you need to fill it completely? With at least 50 gallons of beer?

Neopol, I considered one of these, but wouldn't you need to fill it completely? With at least 50 gallons of beer?

That wouldn't be a problem I would use it as secondary... but No you could purge it with CO2 if you didn't want to fill it.. or buddy up with another brewer or 3 and do a double/triple batch or your favorite barrel aged something. Big RIS comes to mind.

That wouldn't be a problem I would use it as secondary... but No you could purge it with CO2 if you didn't want to fill it.. or buddy up with another brewer or 3 and do a double/triple batch or your favorite barrel aged something. Big RIS comes to mind.

Or a Belgian dark strong with some bugs? :) Thanks.

If you need help brewing something I'd help brew for that. I've got a monster of a 25 gallon mash tun that would make it go much quicker. I've been wanting to brew an allagash curieux clone for a whiskey barrel.

I just added an old HBT user who has not participated in the last 2-3 buys. Historically, he orders big. I think this could be the biggest buy to date.

I have 4-5 more sacks to add once all the Briess stuff is added.

Any idea if we can we order the Jack Daniels drop ship barrel...$95 for a 53 gallon is a deal. I'd pick up directly at the warehouse.

If there is multiple interest, I have a 12' enclosed trailer I could pick up a few from the warehouse direct and meet somewhere midpoint or Bills if the timing works.

If there is multiple interest, I have a 12' enclosed trailer I could pick up a few from the warehouse direct and meet somewhere midpoint or Bills if the timing works.

maybe when you pick up your stuff you can coordinate to pick for others in your trailer. If you were to pick up some but not all at the warehouse then the warehouse would need to stack grain according to what you were picking up. I really doubt they are willing to separate sacks for us since that would lead to confusion. I prefer to have everything delivered to me then with some assistance we can sort everything out, including the splits. for me this is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back