Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are getting close, I will extend the offer to pick up any Far South side/NWI area folks grain if you are not planning on or anticipate difficulties in making the trek, however I won't do it on a last minute "Oh SH8" arrangement.

I have already spoken to a couple folks, just please send me a PM to confirm, so that I can forward this along to Bill as proof for release..

Thanks
Dave

We can arrange a pick up in Munster, I-80/Calumet Ave, 3F parking lot, Community Hospital.

UPDATE

I received a call from the warehouse manager in South Holland earlier today. Evidently, the shipment is on its way to me which is good except for one major problem...I can't unload it. They freight company typically sends a semi and we drive down the alley about 100' or so onto the side street to unload. With yesterday's snow (I hate snow btw) there's no way the fork lift can drive down the alley. I have requested a straight truck that can come down the alley right to our door so we can unload. We would just need to shovel a small patch behind the building instead of the alley and part of the street. I am waiting to here back.

When you say on its way do you mean today. I work pretty close so I can help shovel if needed.

I wish I could help but I just got off of a 12 hour snow plow shift overnight and I am exhausted. Good luck to the guys who are working on it and thanks again.

UPDATE

The delivery has been rescheduled for tomorrow. They will deliver in a straight truck. The back area behind the building back door is almost completely cleared. A little more ice breaking and plenty of salt should do the trick. Need to buy more salt first.

To everyone that offered help, thank you but I think we will be fine tomorrow.

Damn, good news I was just gonna PM you and see if you wanted me to run a snow-thrower up...its also supposed to be near 40 for the next four days.

Bill, I'm definitely going to be out of the country by the time this whole thing goes down.

Anyone in the NW burbs that can pick up a couple hundred pounds of grain and products for me? Otherwise I'm hoping you can hang onto it till the week of the 18th.

So when the order shows up tomorrow, how long before all of the splits can get divided up and we are ready for pickup? My schedule is pretty full so I am just looking for a ballpark date, nothing set in stone. I am not rushing anybody as it would actually fit my schedule better if the delivery had not showed up for another week or two (work may be sending me out of town).

I may have to hit up somebody that lives or works in the west/far west burbs to grab my stuff. ylpaul2000 grabbed it last time, but I don't know if he got into this buy or not. I live in South Elgin, but work in Villa Park.

Randar and KurtB, I'm out in Huntley and can bring your stuff out here if that helps. Anyone else in the far NW burbs, I'm willing to haul in exchange for what else?... Beer!

Bill, I'm definitely going to be out of the country by the time this whole thing goes down.

Anyone in the NW burbs that can pick up a couple hundred pounds of grain and products for me? Otherwise I'm hoping you can hang onto it till the week of the 18th.

Randar,

I live in Hawthorn Woods, just north of you. I could grab your stuff if need be.

Mark

UPDATE

The delivery has been rescheduled for tomorrow. They will deliver in a straight truck. The back area behind the building back door is almost completely cleared. A little more ice breaking and plenty of salt should do the trick. Need to buy more salt first.

To everyone that offered help, thank you but I think we will be fine tomorrow.

Bill,

If you plan to do the grain splits this weekend, let me know if you could use a hand. I can make myself available if you are in need.

Mark

Will there be grain splits being done on Friday? I will be in the city in the morning and may be available in the afternoon to help out.

I can hang on to it until you get back if no one picks up for you.

So when the order shows up tomorrow, how long before all of the splits can get divided up and we are ready for pickup? My schedule is pretty full so I am just looking for a ballpark date, nothing set in stone. I am not rushing anybody as it would actually fit my schedule better if the delivery had not showed up for another week or two (work may be sending me out of town).

I may have to hit up somebody that lives or works in the west/far west burbs to grab my stuff. ylpaul2000 grabbed it last time, but I don't know if he got into this buy or not. I live in South Elgin, but work in Villa Park.

I live in Lombard. Depending on when pick up is, I may be able to grab it for you.

If anyone is interested in "grain-pooling" from Grayslake, PM me.

If I did my load limit research & calcs correctly, I can safely haul 20 sacks without breaking my Subaru. So that means I've got room for 25.

Otherwise, if anyone near me wants to pick up my three sacks and hops, I can always come up with another excuse for a new car.

okey dokey. the alley behind my shop is pretty much cleared as is the inside of my shop. I'm ready for 9 pallets tomorrow. A few of us are still working on a day to BEGIN splits. We are looking at starting on Friday night and resume on Saturday. Or maybe just start early on Saturday and allow people who do NOT have splits to pick up while we are sorting through the splits. Details to be worked out yet.

one day next week I will be going to Addison during the day to pick up some raw materials from a vendor. I can bring some grain with me and meet people to deliver grain. Again, this will be during the day sometime next week once I know when my pick up is ready.

EDIT: I picked up my items from Addison today since they were ready much sooner than they had initially scheduled.

one day next week I will be going to Addison during the day to pick up some raw materials from a vendor. I can bring some grain with me and meet people to deliver grain. Again, this will be during the day sometime next week once I know when my pick up is ready.

I will be at work during the day, but Addison is right by my house if anyone is willing to hold hold my 2 sacks of grain for me until later that night or the next night maybe.

I will likely make my pickup early next week and live in Arlington Heights, so I can pick up grain for anybody in the area, assuming your order isn't too large.

If anyone is interested in "grain-pooling" from Grayslake, PM me.

If I did my load limit research & calcs correctly, I can safely haul 20 sacks without breaking my Subaru. So that means I've got room for 25.

Otherwise, if anyone near me wants to pick up my three sacks and hops, I can always come up with another excuse for a new car.

I'm in Mundelein so that might make a lot of sense if you're willing. My order shouldn't break your car by itself...but it's always good to travel with a few homebrews in the trunk to be ready for any emergency.

Grain has been delivered. Now iy just needs to be split accordingly and that is tentatively scheduled to begin tomorrow night and continue in Saturday if need be. People who do NOT have splits can start picking up on Saturday. If you have splits then on Sunday. Having people pick up their splits as we are splitting sacks will cause too much confusion. Thanks for your understanding.

20130307_120137.jpg

Might be useful to have an idea of who might pick up "NON-splits" and as we are moving bags we can try to group them on a skid rather than double handling bags.

Thats **** load of malt, me want :)
I only have 2 splits and 2 lb of hops so i will be picking up Sunday or later but im excited already :)

I have no splits and could come by Saturday but probably in the morning. If that doesn't work Sunday is fine.

I have no grain splits but several hops splits. Can I bring my Mason jars on Saturday morning so you guys can weigh out my share on the spot, or does that screw things up?

if i cant make it on sunday is monday ok for p/u

I am flexible. I have no splits but can pick up either day. If Saturday works what time is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back