Group Buy in Chicago #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have no idea when the next buy will be, maybe in June? But I will be sure to post the link for the new buy thread on my past buy threads. Just keep following the previous threads for more information.

I had couple recipes that cashed for warrior. Figured I would throw it out there. Up for anything though

LOL. We need to do a yeast swap soon.

I am working with wegz15, wernerherzog and a few others here on putting together a google online form for a yeast bank for Chicago area home brewers to share with each other. Once it gets refined, I'll start a thread and post the link here in case anyone is interested.

I am working with wegz15, wernerherzog and a few others here on putting together a google online form for a yeast bank for Chicago area home brewers to share with each other. Once it gets refined, I'll start a thread and post the link here in case anyone is interested.

Thats a great idea, i dont have a huge collection but i keep mine in -80 freezer in 15% glycerin in small vials, it takes little longer to build starter from this, but yeast should be fine for decades.

Thats a great idea, i dont have a huge collection but i keep mine in -80 freezer in 15% glycerin in small vials, it takes little longer to build starter from this, but yeast should be fine for decades.

you and wegz15 are light years ahead of me. i just wash my yeast.

you and wegz15 are light years ahead of me. i just wash my yeast.

I do that too but i used those in a 1-3 months, the one in the freezer i have for long term storage and its very easy to keep multiple strains this way as they take very little space

I do that too but i used those in a 1-3 months, the one in the freezer i have for long term storage and its very easy to keep multiple strains this way as they take very little space

I know, I know. Wegz15 preaches the virtues of slanting. One day I will tackle it.

where did you get the -80 freezer? and how much was it?

i use one at work, if i would have one at home im afraid savings from yeast banking would go straight to comed :)

I want a demo of this process please :ban:

I want a demo of this process please :ban:

I put aside some yeast from the first starter i make (from the smack pack) and keep it in the fridge for a day or two, then i decant liquid on top of the yeast and add glycerin in the volume to achieve 15% concentration, mix and put in 1-1.5ml vials and freeze in the container filled with isopropanol (isopropanol allows slow cooling at 1 degree per minute rate, you can get similar results by putting vials in 4 degree for few hours then -20 then -80)

looking forward to the yeastbank, b, although I'll need to do more research before I submit for archiving. also, please subscribe me for your next group buy! I have to get started brewing for stout night 2012, and that means I'll be plowing through a lot of 2-row.

Nice I love to see locals taking action ... I'm a food microbiologist and have supply's to slant yeast as well as fresh malt slants to keep your yeast happy for months while planning your next endeavor ... PM me if interested in slanting your yeast

Nice I love to see locals taking action ... I'm a food microbiologist and have supply's to slant yeast as well as fresh malt slants to keep your yeast happy for months while planning your next endeavor ... PM me if interested in slanting your yeast

It sounds like you should be running this instead of a bloke like myself. :mug:

I'd love to help out Im not so educated in the forum stuff I just subscribed and I think I'm getting the hang of it ... Anyhow I cant say I'm an expert in beer yeast but definitely been a food microbiologist for awhile and I'm interested in starting in on some yeast bank for my own purposes so if I can help hit me up !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back