Grits vs flaked maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently did a cereal mash using masa harina (basically, grits ground to a flour.) It was a lot easier than I expected. Don't know how it tastes yet; it's still in the fermenter, getting close to ready to bottle.

Grits or cracked corn is probably more historically accurate for the style than flaked corn. Not sure if it makes a real difference.

At this point I've made 4-5 batches of the cream of three crops recipe with quick grits or corn flake cereal. They both seemed to work more or less the same even though the cereal had preservatives that I thought might impact the flavor or fermentation somewhat. I don't have any experience with flaked maize, but I'm betting it's going to yield similar results.

You will have to adjust your water JUST SLIGHTLY as the grits tend to absorb a bit more water than crushed barley. I add another half gallon per 5 gallon batch.

Historically, it was corn grits and a cereal mash for the Kentucky Common; but I was told by many that flaked maize (corn) in the same proportions would give essentially the same results, so that's what I used for the sake of learning and convenience. I used them the same as I would any other malted grain in the mash etc.

Results were very good, with good aroma and flavour. Nothing as far as I could tell was out of balance.

4dqIIeC.jpg

It seems to me that a person could go either way, based on what they want to do and/or are able to do with their current equipment/skill level.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Look at the price difference. That might make the decision for you. It seems to me that flaked corn from the brewing store was cheaper than grits (especially instant/quick).

Back