Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CthulhuDreaming

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, new to HBT but not to brewing. I was a novice-intermediate home brewing back before my son was born ten years ago, Sadly, all of my equipment found new homes. I've decided to get back into brewing and since I'm starting fresh - I'm going to learn from my past experience and do it differently this time.

How so? Well, one thing I never liked was dealing with all the bottles, washing, sanitizing, storing, filling, capping... So this time around, I'm going a different route. I've got a medium sized chest freezer all set for a keezer conversion, and am waiting for rest of the parts and such to arrive. I'm planning on having 3 taps for homebrew in cornelius kegs, with a tap left free for a 1/6 or 1/4 barrel of local craft brew if I choose. The local craft brewery scene is robust and although I primarily want to have my own creations on tap, there's a number of local beers I can imagine wanting to have around.

I will say this - the difference in online homebrewing resources now vs. 10-15 years ago is huge!

Welcome to the forum from Puyallup. I've never been happier with the hobby than after I finished my kegerator. I did the same as you are, but have two taps for homebrew and one for commercial. I also recomend you get an adapter to change the sanke to ball/pin lock, it will give you even more flexability.

Welcome to the forum from Puyallup. I've never been happier with the hobby than after I finished my kegerator. I did the same as you are, but have two taps for homebrew and one for commercial. I also recomend you get an adapter to change the sanke to ball/pin lock, it will give you even more flexability.

Yep, already done! (The sanke/cornelius quick change). Dealing with bottles was always a chore I didn't care for, really it's the only part of the hobby I didn't like. By comparison, kegging is a dream.

Puyallup - my great-grandmother lived there pretty much all her life, and I have other family in the Tacoma / Seattle area. Also have other family across the way on Hood Canal. The greater Puget Sound area is like a second home to me.

Kegging just saves time, and makes a more consitant product. Times is important when I'm always dividing my time between family work and the hobby. I can keg up a batch while the wife goes to get gorceries.

Welcome from Seaside Oregon. Gonna be a great event here on March 17th. Pouring at the Coast. Lots of craft brews and a home brew competition. Come enter some of your stuff. this is an open invitation to all HBTers. Would love to meet you all and we will have the local HB shop there too.

Welcome back from Astoria, OR. I have my first brew in the fermenter right now. Tsunami, pm me some details on that event for 3/17. Thanks.

Welcome from Seaside Oregon. Gonna be a great event here on March 17th. Pouring at the Coast. Lots of craft brews and a home brew competition. Come enter some of your stuff. this is an open invitation to all HBTers. Would love to meet you all and we will have the local HB shop there too.

Wait... There's a homebrew shop in Seaside?!

No there isn't one in Seaside. There is one in Astoria. But I believe Tsunami and I have gone up to Portland for things or ordered them online. The one in Astoria is called Hondo's Brew and Cork. Where are you at on the North Coast?

I'm down in the Nehalem/Wheeler area, just South of Manzanita. I've been up to Hondos a few times but it's still a bit of a trek so I got excited when I thought there might be a store in Seaside!

If you're going the keg route, there is a guy in Portland that sells pin-lock kegs with a new gasket set for $25 each. Check craigslist for corny kegs, he is always on there.

I see that CL post all the time - oddly enough it always looked like a scam to me. Just the way it was written...

I've seen that post as well, he's also been posting Pepsi kegs for $35. Problem is, he's never answered any of my emails, so I gave up on wanting to give him any of my money.

Hondos is in Astoria. I went and bought a simple grainbill and it cost me a small fortune. He is getting $2.50 lb for 2 row. If the grain bill is over 8lbs it is better to order online. I like to shop local but come on...

Hondos is in Astoria. I went and bought a simple grainbill and it cost me a small fortune. He is getting $2.50 lb for 2 row. If the grain bill is over 8lbs it is better to order online. I like to shop local but come on...

FWIW Steinbart's in Portland will ship most things free to OR, WA or ID free if the order is over 60.00. Might not meet your idea of local, but at least keeps your dollars in state.

I've seen that post as well, he's also been posting Pepsi kegs for $35. Problem is, he's never answered any of my emails, so I gave up on wanting to give him any of my money.

Yeah-- he is kindof a prick, but it is worth it. I was 5 minutes late once and he left on me. He does it as a business so I'm sure he gets tired of dealing with flakes on Craigslist. If you are going to get 4 or more, it is worth trying to hook up with him. If you do, make sure to tell him to bring extras so you can pick the best ones. Some of them have rubber that is disintegrating on the handles. I got 8 and they are awesome. One is san star, one is BLC, one is water, two are bright tanks (with the dip tube shortened) and the rest are serving kegs. I think I'm going to buy more for aging beers. Worth every penny.

Yeah-- he is kindof a prick, but it is worth it. I was 5 minutes late once and he left on me. He does it as a business so I'm sure he gets tired of dealing with flakes on Craigslist. If you are going to get 4 or more, it is worth trying to hook up with him. If you do, make sure to tell him to bring extras so you can pick the best ones. Some of them have rubber that is disintegrating on the handles. I got 8 and they are awesome. One is san star, one is BLC, one is water, two are bright tanks (with the dip tube shortened) and the rest are serving kegs. I think I'm going to buy more for aging beers. Worth every penny.

If I could get the guy to answer my emails or call me, I would have, but after several tries, I'm not going to bother trying again.

Latest posts

Back