Greetings from Beer City USA (Asheville, NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germanywx

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! Long-time homebrewer, new to these boards. I actually started homebrewing when I was in my mid-late teens -- I'm 35 now. I've gone in cycles over the years, getting really into it, then tapering off. I admit I'm more of a pleasure brewer than a hard-core brewer. I don't pay close attention to numbers, I don't keep records, I have never had the strong urge to go all-grain, and my set-up is admittedly McGyver-esque. If you want tips on how to have a ridiculously cheap (yet successful) brew kit -- less than $7.50 -- I'm the guy to ask!

Having said that, I do have a great deal of experience under my belt... more than I thought. A couple of weeks ago, while in the brew shop waiting for some grains to get ground, I started talking to others who were walking around. I was able to answer questions from a few people with varying experience levels. I surprised myself with how much knowledge I have picked up over the past 18 or so years of "just winging it".

I'm actually wanting to get a little more serious with my beers in the form of better record keeping. It's kind of the only way to move up from where I am. For the first time, I bought a hydrometer for my latest batch (a mocha stout). While kind of interesting, I don't really find it *helpful*.

This post makes it sound like I will drink any swill that comes out of my closet. In fact, my beer stacks up quite well against great craft breweries. I just did a blind taste test of my latest IPA against two I bought at the store, and it compared very well next to them. I brewed a Scotch Ale at the same time as the IPA, and, even though I say this every time I brew up a batch, these were the best two beers I've ever made. I'm sure the mocha stout will also be the best beer I've ever made. :)

I look forward to getting to know folks and give and take some really great info. Maybe one day I'll get a hair up my arse and do an all-grain brew.

Asheville is a great beer town! Lots of friendly homebrewers there, too. You're in the minority here with the laissez-faire brewing, but if it works for you, that's great. Brewing is an art, not just a science. Get a notebook and start jotting down what you remember to. It's great to have a reference for how you brewed when you want it.

Hi from the other end of the state. Erwin,NC! I'm new to brewing but long time consuming.

Mt Airy native here....I love Asheville and visit often....I'll pm you before my next visit and see if you want to meet and sample some homebrews...

:off:

Ever have HBT meet ups for beer events in Asheville?

Hey, I'm from Greenville, SC and we visit Asheville often. Love the beer scene there! Pisgah Pale Ale and French Broad IPA are some of my favorites. We can't get those here in SC. Really pumped to have Sierra Nevada coming to the area.

I have a pretty big yard and a big porch in which to do some good sitting and sipping, if we ever wanted to meet up here. I currently have three beers ready for some sharing: A scotch ale, an IPA, and a mocha stout. My next batch, starting in the next week or two, will be a holiday ale that I'll rack over some cranberries in the secondary. It's a special request by my MIL, who wanted something to drink for the holidays.

I'm also going to attempt a cranberry liqueur this year that ought to be pretty tasty. (Also for my MIL... gotta keep her happy!)

Sounds good to me Germ! I've got a stout, several farmhouse/saisons, and lots more in the pipeline. I know we'll be at the Winter Warmer in January if anyone else is going to that, maybe we could get together for homebrews the day after? Usualy visit once a month or so when there is an event, release, or just good stuff on tap around town.

AI dont know you but I love you and your city. I do on the other take exception due to the fact you claim Beer City USA. I believe my city claimed it mutually which is quite an honor nonetheless. I cant wait until I make it down to your town. Love Beer and Love Life!

Back