Greetings and Salutations from MN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick55555

Reaction score
Hello fellow beer fans. I just started brewing around Christmas of last year and am loving it so far. Doesn't take too much time (haven't gotten into all-grain yet), and there is a wonderful payoff potential!

My first brew (and Extra Pale Ale kit) turned out a bit flat after I let it carbonate in-bottle for only two weeks, but I tried it the other day (about 4 weeks in-bottle) at there was significantly more head... pretty exciting to me to finally taste a good specimen of my own brew.

I also just bottled some English Pale Ale, and have a batch of Belgian Tripel (High Gravity :cross: :drunk: ) currently in the primary fermenter (and it is still bubbling after over a week!!!)

My local Brew Supplier is Northern Brewer, and every time I go in to purchase something simple I walk out paying ~150% more than I had intended... this is an addictive hobby! There are a few more suppliers around the Twin Cities (and if anyone else has used them and has comments about them, please let me know) but I have stuck with Northern for the time being because they have a pretty good inventory and are VERY helpful.

Glad to be on board and am looking forward to asking and answering some questions (my knowledge comes mostly from books at this point).

Cheers!
-Nick

nick55555 said:
Hello fellow beer fans. I just started brewing around Christmas of last year and am loving it so far. Doesn't take too much time (haven't gotten into all-grain yet), and there is a wonderful payoff potential!

My first brew (and Extra Pale Ale kit) turned out a bit flat after I let it carbonate in-bottle for only two weeks, but I tried it the other day (about 4 weeks in-bottle) at there was significantly more head... pretty exciting to me to finally taste a good specimen of my own brew.

I also just bottled some English Pale Ale, and have a batch of Belgian Tripel (High Gravity :cross: :drunk: ) currently in the primary fermenter (and it is still bubbling after over a week!!!)

My local Brew Supplier is Northern Brewer, and every time I go in to purchase something simple I walk out paying ~150% more than I had intended... this is an addictive hobby! There are a few more suppliers around the Twin Cities (and if anyone else has used them and has comments about them, please let me know) but I have stuck with Northern for the time being because they have a pretty good inventory and are VERY helpful.

Glad to be on board and am looking forward to asking and answering some questions (my knowledge comes mostly from books at this point).

Cheers!
-Nick

Welcome to HBT.

I also use Northern Brewery as I live in West Central Wisconsin not too far from St. Paul.

It is good to see that you already know this is an addictive hobby. That will make your life much easier. Plan and spend...brewe and drink.

Welcome Nick,

I'm in Bloomington, and haven't got over to Northern Brewer yet. I usually get my supplies from Midwest Homebrewing, in St. Louis Park, just off Hwy 100, between Hwy7 and Excelsior Blvd.. There is also Barkingside, on 64th and Lyndale. Haven't been there either, never heard about them until I did a yellow pages search. There is also Brew and Grow, up in Spring Lake Park, on Hwy 65 north. Been a long time since I've been there.

Midwest is on my way home, and they are open til 7pm all week. They are open on Sat. AND Sunday too. For the hardcore brewer. :rockin:

Once again, welcome, and happy brewing.

Bombo

Welcome to HBT! :tank:

Although I'm not in MN, I live out in the boonies of Maine, so my 'LHBS' is Midwest also. I've had nothing but great service and friendly talks with them.

I order from both Midwest and Northern Brewer. Northern brewer ships faster every time so I usually end up ordering most of my stuff from them. The shipping on the bulk grain is usually cheaper from midwest.
Since you are close you will have it made with 2 great suppliers so close.

Welcome to HBT Nick! :mug:
nick55555 said:
My local Brew Supplier is Northern Brewer, and every time I go in to purchase something simple I walk out paying ~150% more than I had intended... this is an addictive hobby!
-Nick
You are going to find this is quite common. I can go in to get a 1/2 pound of grain and walk out spending $40. I think home brew stores pipe in subliminal messages some how!

Lol, that is one theory.

I have yet to try Midwest, but I have their catalog and it is twice as thick as the Northern Brewer Catalog. I also work right by Grow 'n Brew, not a huge selection, but convinient for any little things I may need.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, see you on the forums! :mug:

Back