great western malting products.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
how does this stuff compare? i stopped at LHBS today and paid $38 for 14# of vienna, 10oz of honey malt and 2oz of hops. feel like i'm getting ripped. did a search on google for vienna malt and found 50# sacks from this compay for $38. :rockin:

I think they are a wholesaler distributor. Like Country Malt near where I live. You have to own a store or a brewery and buy it by the pallet. But I could be wrong.

I like Great Western. It's always my choice when I get in on a grain buy since it's cheap (~$25 for a 50# sack of 2-row) and makes good beer. I think the price you paid at your LHBS is just markup. If you bought in bulk you would get a much better price.

Wow, big rip if you ask me, but I live in Portland and pay NW prices. Perhaps that was city price? GW Vienna here is $1.35/lb, honey malt is $1.50/lb, and hops are $2-2.50/oz retail.
Great Western makes good malts, so at least you got some good stuff.

I actually didn't get the GWM. LHBS sells Briess. If anyone is curious the place I found that sack on was ritebrew.com. I'm not affiliated with them, just found a deal.

Are you factoring in shipping? My shipping quote from Ritebrew was more than the cost of the sack of grain. Luckily I can get a pretty decent price on a full sack from my LHBS.

Are you factoring in shipping? My shipping quote from Ritebrew was more than the cost of the sack of grain. Luckily I can get a pretty decent price on a full sack from my LHBS.
ew. great point. with shipping the total is 65.46. 65.46/50lbs = $1.31/lb. that's about half as much. two row is the same price and only $.30 less than LHBS.

may have to talk to them about a bag price.

Great Western is pretty decent maltster. I find it very similar to Briess and Rahr.

They're a member of the Country Malt Group and located in WA state, so they're really the only affordable maltster on the west coast. Unfortunately, that means they won't be affordable for you in NY.

I can't think of a single malt they make that's exclusive or way better than others. They Crystal lovibonds are also skewed from what you'll see in BeerSmith. In fact, if you use BeerSmith and use GW malts, you should probably go download the GW grain package. Check the Addon tab in BeerSmith to add it.

FWIW, here's what I pay for GW in the Sacramento, CA area:

2-row (2L): $39.15/50lb ($0.78/lb) or $1.26/lb loose
Pale Alt [MO] (3L): $39.15/50lb ($0.78/lb) or $1.26/lb loose
White Wheat (2.5L): $41.85/50lb ($0.84/lb) or $1.44/lb loose

I'd buy their Munich and Vienna too, but my LHBS carries only Best Malz versions of those two, at $59.40/55lb and $60.39/55lb, respectively.

I switched to GW's Northwestern American Pale malt. LHBS price is $36/50# 3L so it is darker than standard pale malt and produces a drier finish (similar to MO).

how does this stuff compare? i stopped at LHBS today and paid $38 for 14# of vienna, 10oz of honey malt and 2oz of hops. feel like i'm getting ripped. did a search on google for vienna malt and found 50# sacks from this compay for $38. :rockin:

Are you upstate ? My extract kits I buy are cheaper than that.

Sounds like your paying at least 2$ a pound. My old LHBS store sold everything but 2 row and pils as specialty grains and charged $2. I come to Germany and Munich and Vienna cost the same as pale malt cause they are base malts!

Back