gravity went from 1.013 to 1.028 whats wrongs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liesea

Reaction score
I am brewing batch of carribou slobber and am about to bottle. my OG was 1.052 and when i transferred it to my secondary after 2 weeks my SG was 1.013. I took a FG reading today as I am planning to bottle this weekend and it came out at 1.028. how is this possible!? I haven't added anything to the beer. Both of my other reading were taken at 69F and this one is at 64F but that wouldnt cause that big of a change. Has anybody else ever had this happen to them?

It's not possible. One was a wrong reading, unless you added like 1 2/3 pounds of sugar to the secondary.

This doesn't sound logical. I'm guessing you miss-read one of your readings. There's a chance that your most recent sample had a lot of suspended co2. Try letting a sample sit on the counter for a couple hours to de-gas and take another reading..

I didn't think this was possible either i have a feeling my hydrometer may be a little off. I will try take a reading off my barlywine to see what that looks like.

Back