Stopping/slowing fermentation to create different cider varieties from same batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderTropica

Reaction score
I am making a tropical fruit cider and have added too much sugar. OG is 1.110 giving a potential 14.5% ABV. This is not too big a problem for me as I will still drink it that strong. :)

However, I want to create two weaker varieties from this batch to serve to friends: "sweet" and "medium".

I plan to take regular SG readings and create the "sweet" version at around 7.5% and "medium" at 10.5%.

Let's say I transfer out the sweet variety from the fermentation bucket after 3 days. What are my options for stopping/slowing the fermentation? All I have is a -18°C (0°F) home freezer and a 3°C (37°F) home fridge. I am worried about bottles exploding in the fridge.

I started the brew yesterday and I intend to serve the cider in 11 days. Any advice?

Thanks in advance. :)

Heat kills yeast. Heat your cider to 160F and all the yeast will die. Your bottles will not carbonate if that was your desire.

Cold slow fermentation without killing the yeast so you could refrigerate the cider but....it will only slow it, not stop it. If carbonation is desired this is how you would go about it but great care would have to be taken to ensure that the bottles carbonated, then were cooled to near freezing to keep the carbonation level the same. Sampling frequently will tell you if they are becoming overcarbonated.

Thanks for your reply. I won't be heating the cider as I want it carbonated.

I intend to use 2-litre plastic bottles to store the cider in the fridge. If I store it at 3°C (37°F) will this arrest fermentation enough that the bottles won't explode in the fridge, or is this dangerous?

If anyone is interested, I cold-crashed the cider in the freezer for 1.5 hours then moved it to the fridge. Fermentation was strongly arrested and the bottles did not explode.

Make a split batch.

I recommend making a split batch with two different yeasts and make sure the fermentation finishes completely in both instances. Or, add an unfermentable sugar to half of the batch.

I don't believe you can stop fermentation midway without ruining your cider.

Oops... Just realized..

Back