Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf3456

Reaction score
I have a batch of pale ale in primary right now. I started it on Sunday night, at 7:01 PM to be exact. When is the earliest I should take a gravity reading?

2-3 weeks from when it started fermenting. Taste the sample too. If you can go longer, then I would (I typically go 3-4 weeks for my lower OG batches).

What if I were to check it this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and the readings were the same all three days. In other words, how long should the readings be the same before Its done? And, would it be ok if I were to check it this coming Sunday?

2-3 weeks from when it started fermenting. Taste the sample too. If you can go longer, then I would (I typically go 3-4 weeks for my lower OG batches).

What if you're moving to a secondary?

My first brew (an APA) has been in the primary for just over a day, but I'm moving it to a secondary (when the readings are stable, of course) so I can dry hop. Should I take a reading in a week or so?

What if I were to check it this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and the readings were the same all three days. In other words, how long should the readings be the same before Its done? And, would it be ok if I were to check it this coming Sunday?

IMO, far too soon... Learn patience with your homebrew. Giving the batch long enough to become great will be rewarded.

To determine when it's at FG, you should take readings 3-4 days apart. IF the readings are identical, then it's at FG. But, that doesn't mean that the batch is actually ready for bottles.

Personally, I won't move a batch to another vessel without a damned great reason. Such as wanting to age it on oak. Or add a flavor element while getting it off of another one (that I want to stop the addition of). That means, that for a high percentage of my batches, they stay in primary for the duration. I even dry hop in primary. I've started dry hopping in keg, though, so that I get more hop flavor/aroma for the duration it's on tap.

I hate how so many recipes include instructions to rack to another vessel (a bright tank) when it's not always needed. If you're using an ale yeast, then chances are you'll get the same result by leaving it in primary. There's even a really good chance you'll get something better by leaving it in primary for the duration.

Out of almost 30 batches, I've transferred only three to other vessels. One was before I knew better. Two were larger brews that I was adding different flavor elements to. I have a 12% wee heavy in primary right now (started 12/17/11), that will be moved to another vessel, with oak cubes, to age for 4-6 months (sometime in the next 3-8 weeks). Otherwise, it would stay where it's at until it goes to keg/bottle (I keg everything now, to carbonate, but do bottle some of batches to take to friends/family).

What ever you do, taste the hydrometer sample BEFORE you do anything with a batch. IF you detect any off flavors, or you're not 100% happy with how it tastes, give it more time in primary. There's very little that more time in primary won't fix.

Also, read up on the 'no secondary' method of fermenting. There's a ton of threads on here about it. Even those that wrote the books most people read when starting out (that were published over a decade ago now) have changed their positions to saying to rack over after X days...

A lot of people will tell you not to judge fermentation by the bubbles in the airlock, but the truth is that you can get a pretty good idea of what's going on from the air lock. Don't bother taking a hydrometer reading until the airlock has completely stopped bubbling. Then, when you take your reading, if you're at your expected final gravity and it doesn't change after a few days, your beer is done fermenting.

How long you leave it in the bucket after that is up to you, but a lot of people have strong opinions about that. Basically, the longer you leave it the more the beer will clear and the yeast will be able to clean up various flavors produced during fermentation, but as you leave it longer you also run the risk of developing off flavors from contact with dead yeast cells and trub.

Personally, I leave the beer in the bucket no more than 7-10 days after hitting final gravity. I do this because I have had problems with soapy off flavors when I leave the beer in the primary for three weeks or more.

As for moving to a secondary, you can do that either when fermentation is winding down (maybe .005 above your expected gravity) or once the beer has stopped fermenting completely.

I'm fermenting in stainless these days (sanke kegs) so I really don't worry about much. Most of my batches are done within 4 weeks of when they're brewed. Done and going into kegs that is. With the yeast I use, I get a nice, tight, compact yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenter by then.

Back