Gravity is no longer changing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
I have some cider fermenting, and I was wondering if it should be bottled. The whole process was a learning process, and I probably made quite a few mistakes.

5 Gallons of Unpasteurized cider
5 Camden Tablets
2 1/2 Tsp Pectin Enzyme
White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002)
OG is 1.050

The initial fermentation did not start, and after a week with no activity, I added another generic ale yeast, still nothing after a few days. I decided to try a wine yeast (Lalvin K1V-1116) as a last resort. The fermentation took right off, because it was more than likely going to be very dry I decided to add more sugar to the mix. I added about 1.5 pounds of honey(after siphoning to the secondary). After about 2 weeks I checked the Gravity and it was around .98. I decided that if it was going to be this dry it may as well be very alcoholic. So I added 2 pounds of brown sugar to the mix (after siphoning to another carboy). It has been about a month since then and the gravity is now sitting at around 1.10 and hasn't changed for about 2 weeks. Do you think this is ok to bottle.

I'm sure I probably made many mistakes in this, but the initial fermentation problem with the beer yeast kind of threw a wrench into my plans. Thanks for any advice in advance.

That stuff is going to be like moonshine, shouldn't add fermentables to your secondary its more for conditioning. did you heat the honey and brown sugar up with water? and disolve it or did you just dump it right in? But to answer your question yes you can bottle it or you can let it sit around and keep conditioning it wont go bad.

The honey may not be done. Poke around in the mead forum for general rules of thumb as to fermentation time. For one, the gravity indicates you are probably not finished, however, depending on how low you could potentially go I am not convinced either way of the potential for overcarbonation (i.e. bottle bombs). One thing to do though, is bottle it and in about a week or so, see if you have any carbonation present. If so then you'll have to probably off gas it unless you want to see if you can get it carbonated. :D

I suppose I'll let it sit for another month. I'm going to Antarctica for abotu 3 1/2 weeks so by then it should be mostly done fermenting. And my Joe's Ancient Orange Mead should be done as well.:)

Yeah as long as the temps are on the cool side and stable and the carboy has the airlock filled you will be fine.

drevilz4l said:
I suppose I'll let it sit for another month. I'm going to Antarctica for abotu 3 1/2 weeks so by then it should be mostly done fermenting. And my Joe's Ancient Orange Mead should be done as well.:)

don't take it to Antarctica with you - it may be a bit chilly for the yeast :eek:

Another month in the fermenter can't hurt and 1.010 is more than enough to make bottle bombs if the yeast takes off.

Back