Grape Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzorn

Reaction score
I know there is a beer cocktail called black velvet, which is guiness and white wine. But I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of incorperating grape juice directly into the brewpot while making a stout.

You don't want to boil grape juice, but no reason you can't add it to the fermenter or a secondary.

I think there was a thread about someone who worked at a winery using some juice in a beer. I don't remember the variety or thread.

I have a berliner weiss fermenting now with a few bottles of first blush cabernet juice from the supermarket (they also sell chardonnay). It tastes pretty good, but 3 bottles added in secondary to 2.5 gallons is pretty subtle even in such a low gravity/flavor beer. I think it would take quite a bit to get a noticeable flavor to come through in a stout.

Taste a grape, then taste some wine. If you want your stout to have grape flavor, then add essence. If you want it to have wine flavor, then yes, add it to the fermentor. I didn't really enjoy my fruit juice Brown that I made up. It is very tart (like wine) and doesn't have the fruit character I was looking for.

I dont see how grapes would work in a Stout.. it would be way too overpowering.

I added some cherries once to a stout.. really didn't work to well.

Now if you tried it with a lighter beer it might just work. Mabye a brown ale or something.

Back