Question on cold settling the pressed juice from white grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellothar

Reaction score
The juice I have is very murky as I didn't do a very good job at cold settling. Is this going to be a big problem later on? I haven't ever worked with grapes before and although I did cold settle, I didn't do it for very long (24 hours) and I kept a portion of the sediment in the juice for fear of loosing too much of the batch. Now I am wondering if that in doing so I will have ruined the whole batch!
I haven't added the yeast starter yet so I could potentially cold settle again, but it has been nearly 2 days now since I pressed the juice and I don't want to spoil it in some other way either.

Attachments

• Photo on 26-09-2023 at 17.03.jpg
    Photo on 26-09-2023 at 17.03.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo on 26-09-2023 at 17.03 #3.jpg
    Photo on 26-09-2023 at 17.03 #3.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 0
Did you add sulphites? Personally, I would add bentonite & pitch the starter as you don't want it to sit uncolonized for too long.

Did you add sulphites? Personally, I would add bentonite & pitch the starter as you don't want it to sit uncolonized for too long.
Hey, thanks for the reply - Yeah I did add campden tablets yesterday, 1 per gallon.
I think I may do that and pitch the starter asap. it would be a real shame to let it go off waiting to clarify more. I don't have any bentonite but can get hold of some in the next few days off ebay I'm sure.

Back